Monday, July 20, 2009

three

How did this:



Become this:



I can't believe my little girl is three. Well, I can believe it. Boy oh boy does she ever act like a three year old. Its gone by so fast, yet it seems a lifetime ago. Last night as I was walking through the house picking up last minute toys off the floor I had another "I can't believe that I am a mom" moment. There are so many days I worry about whether I'm doing a good job mothering this little girl. She has so much energy and intensity. (I wonder where she gets that?) We butt heads a lot of times. I really don't know what I'm doing with this one. But man she brings me so much happiness. Like when she says things like, "It makes her nervous." Or "You startled me, Mama." Or when she tells someone she wants a "pig - a piggy bank" for her birthday and then says, "but I don't have any money" with a big sigh. She hears and notices everything I say and do. Not a day goes by that she isn't willing to give me hugs and tell me she loves me. She talks all day long. If too people are talking in the room she says "excuse me" a million times louder and louder and louder until you respond. She loves playing with kids. She is just the right amount of cautious and outgoing. Everywhere she goes she meets friends, and everyday she wants her friends to come over. She could just play and play with friends all day long and wouldn't miss me a bit.

We celebrated her birthday all day on Saturday. She opened a present in the morning, a couple more after lunch.





That night we had family come over for cake and ice cream (pink, of course).




We also took her shopping for some new shoes (which she needed) and we brought her a long because boy does that girl love to try on shoes.

I could tell a million things that I love about this one. She is such a cool girl. She is willing to try anything. She is willing to share anything with her friends (and she doesn't quite understand why other people don't share back.) She doesn't stop moving all day long. She loves dancing, singing ( primary songs especially), drinking juice, going to Grandma's, swimming, playing outside, taking showers, talking, pretending she's a puppy, playing games like candyland and go fish, playing on the computer (we found some really simple point and click games at pbskids.org and Dave being the "tech-y" guy that he is just had to teach Ana how to use the mouse. I wasn't quite sure I was ready for her to know, but we only let her play for a few minutes a day.) She is the apple of her daddy's eye and he takes her everywhere he goes. She also slumps her shoulders and walks off when she's sad about something, throws a fit when we have to leave the park or a friend's house, tackles her brother (which sometimes he likes, sometimes he doesn't), has a hard time picking up her toys and obeying Mommy, and climbs in Jack's bed at night and bugs him while they are supposed to be going to sleep, (which sometimes he likes, sometimes he doesn't).

I remember thinking when she was born that this little baby was a strong spirit, and that is certainly true. Let's hope we steer it in the right direction.

Happy Birthday, Ana-girl!

7 comments:

Jacob said...

Hey Erin! I can't believe you had Ana 3 years ago!! It seems like only yesterday I was holding her crying her eyes out in the bathroom of the Smith building...:) What a cute girl and we wish her a Happy B-day! And PS--love the hair! Its super cute. I saw the first picture and was like, "Erin, thats how your hair looked when we last saw you..." then I scrolled down and was appropriatley surprised when I saw how much you actually chopped off! Luckily for you you can pull off any style! Hows the med school application going for you guys? Love ya!

Laura

Shaela said...

happy birthday Ana!!

Amy said...

You are steering her in the right direction, you are awesome parents!! Ana is so fun to be around-we love your kids!

Melissa Fisher said...

I usually skim past the long lists of "these are why I love my kid" posts, but I read all of yours (feel privileged) and found it adorable! She is a crack up and reminds me of my little 3 year old. How did that dark haired baby become a blonde haired little girl?? So cute!

A said...

She is so beautiful- just like her mommy! I'm a bit relieved- when I saw the title of your post I thought you were announcing you were pregnant again and it seems like you just had Jack! What a cute post though.

Andrea :) said...

Wow! How time flies! What a cute little girl! Happy Birthday Ana!

Annie Bingham said...

You look so little in the picture of new baby Ana! How cute and fun to read about the life of Ana.