Thursday, March 4, 2010

why do i have to get so darn emotionally attached?

I just read this book for book club.

It was a good book.

I will recommend it to you, but I have a warning - it is sad. Or maybe I should just say that it is full of sorrow. But its happy too.

Its the story of a girl's life from ages 18 to 38. And she lived in the "wild west" so naturally there were all sorts of sorrowing that happened during those days.

The problem I had with this book is that I saw myself (and Dave) so strongly resembled by her (and her husband). So that meant that everything that happened to her I felt like it was happening to me.

I spent all day (literally) yesterday reading. I gave Dave a big hug after it was over and I was crying and he was like, "I really don't get this" but he gave me a hug back and smiled at me anyway. He is one who doesn't get emotionally attached to stories like I do.

This is how I am with most books that I read. Or movies that I watch. I just get so into it that I can think about nothing else. Which is why I can't put a good book down. (When we were reading the Harry Potter books together I thought of nothing else for weeks. I even dreamed about Harry.)

Anyway, I'm trying to think of something to cheer me up. I think I might need some peppy music. Or reading Pride and Prejudice (at least my favorite parts).

What I really need to do is practice the song I'm playing in the adult session of Stake Conference on Saturday. (yikes! I totally agreed to accompany someone without realizing where she was singing.) I also need to continue packing.

7 comments:

Annie Bingham said...

I read this last year for our book group. I cried my eyes out and loved it and wanted to name all my children after the people in the book. You already have a Jack! Anyway, glad you love it, I love it too, one of my favorites ever. I love book group, it broadens my horizons!

Shaela said...

I get soooo emotionally attached with stories too. Maybe go for a run. Or sing along with Saturday's Warrior, haha. :)

Erin L said...

I also want to name my children after characters in stories I love.

Oh, and Shaela, I don't know if going for a run would help. I need something to keep my MIND occupied. Although a run does sound nice anyway...

McKenna said...

Loved that book. There are two more that follow and I liked them even better. If you need to borrow them I think my mom has them, let me know.

Christine said...

I really liked this book too. And I am the same way with book and movies, I just get totally sucked in! I also should admit that I'm also someone that reads a new book, likes it and then wants to name my kids after the characters...I'm glad that I'm not the only one!! ;-)

Heather said...

I just put that book on hold at the library! We really do live parallel lives! I didn't read ALL of your post, because I didn't want to spoil it, just in case. I can't wait to start it.

Melyssa said...

I LOVED this book. I just read it last week. It was bittersweet, but I really really really enjoyed it. In fact, I enjoyed it so much I pretty much sat on the couch with it for two days, doing little else. Oh the drawbacks of being a bookworm. :)