Wednesday, November 6, 2013

survival mode

I was discussing with my friend the seasons of Vermont. Of course there is winter, winter and more winter. I love it in December and January with their fresh layers of snow dressing the world in beautiful whiteness and me curled up by our fire with hot chocolate. About mid-February and March it is still too cold and overcast and gloomy to go out, but the beautiful snow is gone and you have "mud season." The only good thing to come out of those late-winter/early-spring months is maple syrup. Then For about 6 weeks in May and early June we have a beautiful spring with blooming lilacs and the florescent greenery as the new leaves bud. July and August likewise are wonderful as the green deepens into an indescribable thickness. September and October come with cooler weather, pumpkins, mums, apple cider and, of course, the wonderful color of the trees. Then comes November. It isn't snowing yet, but the trees are bare. It is "stick season."

So, "stick season" is upon us now with morning window scrapings and crunching leaves beneath our feet. It isn't too bad, particularly with the upcoming holidays. It seems even this early the holiday anticipation begins to build.

October went quickly. Dave was doing his "AI" (Acting Internship - in which they take on nearly resident workload and hours) in the NICU (which he thoroughly enjoyed) so we didn't see much of him.  With it I went into survival mode with lowering my expectations and trying to soak up as much of the fall as I could. He is now off interviewing for residencies, so survival mode continues. I am actually enjoying my evenings, though, as I am listening to "The Count of Monte Cristo" while doing up some chores. Plus I have great friends who help me fill up my time during the day. So, we are surviving. Even if Jack did decide to dump out his cereal milk tonight for no reason and Ana sneaks my iPod away to take a bunch of selfies.

But that's kinda awesome.








1 comment:

Shaela said...

Lol, awesome pics. :) We have summer, summer and more summer here in Vegas, hahaha. Right now we are enjoying our "second Spring", as we call it... the weather cools enough that everything blooms again, which means that along with gorgeous flowers and green trees, I have awful allergies, haha. It's around 70 during the day but the nights are getting cooler... it was 39 this morning, which is chilly for here! October is a funny month - it starts out with temps still hot enough to need a/c, but by Halloween the need for a/c switches to the need for heat almost overnight. November-January are my favorite months here... it's perfect "fall" weather. Days in the 50s and 60s but not very windy, and always clear, sunny skies. I can wear jeans and boots and a sweater or light jacket and be super comfy. February is our "first Spring", when everything blooms and people start planting their gardens. March is nice (jeans and tshirt weather) and then April is like another October... we need heat at the beginning of the month but trade it for the a/c by the beginning of May. I am trying to enjoy these last few months here while I can, since it's the nicest time to be in Vegas. It will just be hard (and depressing) to pack up a moving van in 60-degree sunshine and unpack it in 20-degree snowdrifts. :/

I am in survival mode right now too. John has been gone for 10 days and he won't really be back for another 65 or so. Trying to lower my expectations and take one day at a time.

(sorry I wrote a novel in your comments... I feel like we haven't "talked" in ages!)