Thursday, January 9, 2014

starting off with a bang

I have been trying to get to posting this for 2 days. I finally have a minute in between cleaning up Christmas and getting the kids back into routine.

We have had a memorable first week of 2014. Its been kind of a little crazy, truthfully. Here is a recap:

Wednesday: Took the kids the see Frozen. Such a cute movie! It was Katie's first movie in the movie theater. I wasn't sure how she would do but she sat on my lap watching intently the entire time. We have been singing "Let it go" all week. The kids were super grumpy this day, given the fact that they were up til midnight the night before. Are we the only ones that let our kids stay up? The movie was a welcome ray of sunshine in the day.

Thursday: Jack and Ana and went back to school. Half way through the day I picked up Dave to take him to a dentist appointment when we heard the heartbreaking news from the Larsen family that one of our nephews died. He was 21. He was a fun, kind, unique guy and he will be missed. We wish we could have been there this week with the family.

Saturday: We went to Dick's Sporting Goods to make a return and afterwards ran into Old Navy to check out their clearance. When we returned to the car I realized I had locked the keys inside. So in the freezing cold weather we walked our kids a couple blocks to the grocery store where our neighbor and friend, Sara, happened to be grocery shopping. When she finished she took Dave home where he picked up the Buick and the extra keys to come back and get us. I did our grocery shopping while we were waiting. He stopped on the way to get gas and then the Buick wouldn't start back up again. At all. By this time I was done shopping but it was too freezing to go anywhere so the kids and I camped out on a bench while we waited. I had a bag of Reese's Pieces in my purse so I asked the kids questions they had to answer to get one. They really did great. We were there about an hour. Meanwhile, Dave called our friend to come back and pick him up, push the car into a parking space and drive to get us. Dave knew what the Buick needed - there was a screw into the battery that was completely stripped and wasn't functioning anymore - so we stopped at the parts store to pick up a new part. At this point we were 2 hours late for some dinner plans. Later that night Dave went back to fix the Buick. He replaced the part and now it starts right up.

Monday: While the rest of the country was getting freezing temperatures, we had a day of warm(ish - 40*) weather and rain, rain, rain. Which happened to flood our basement just a little. Nothing too major, though.

Tuesday: Temperatures dropped and everything froze. So now we have a nice, thick sheet of ice on everything. So thick actually that Ana strapped on her ice skates and was skating on the sidewalks and driveway.

( It is supposed to be warm again this weekend. (Warm is relative when you live in the Northeast). I hope it melts everything.  Then it can go back down to cold and we can have a nice snow. Right now it is ice on top of snow on top of ice on top of snow. )

So, now that we have that week behind us, it is time to get in full gear into my New Year's Resolutions. I have made my list and feel like I have been doing pretty well. A post on that will be forthcoming.

Here's to 2014!

No comments: