Wednesday, May 13, 2015

7 things I hope my kid learns playing baseball

Baseball season is upon us. This is our first year and I was nervous when I realized what a commitment it was- 2 games a week and a practice. But I must say that I absolutely love it! I actually enjoy watching the games and cheering Jack on. I am a little surprised at how much. Jack loves it too. He was nervous at first and there was one game he refused to play. But his coaches are great and now he really enjoys it. He is pretty consistent at hitting the ball and pretty fast of a runner.

But even though I really like the game and hopes he is successful, kid sports are about so much more than the hopes of playing pro. I have not preconceived notions of Jack being a superstar. But I do hope he learns a few things.


7 things I hope my kid learns playing sports


1 - Do your best.

No matter what anyone else does or how they perform, you can always strive to do your very best. It may look different than someone else's best, but the harder you work, the better you will get. You can always feel happy when you know you did your very best.

2 - You are a part of a team.

There is something wonderful about being part of something bigger than yourself. As a team, you cheer each other on. You form friendships. You set an example for each other. You share in each others' joys and sorrows. You encourage and lift up one another.  When you learn to function in a team, you learn that other people depend on us, just as we depend on them.  You learn to look for ways you can help and lift others, because when you help others do their best, it helps you too. When one member of a family or a group succeeds, it is a success for everyone.

3 - Be a good sport.

I was so impressed by Jack's teammate the other day. He was playing first base and when an opponent made it safe to his plate, he turned to him and said, "Nice hit." That is what it means to be a good sport.  One person's talent does not diminish our ability to work hard and do our best. We can always be happy for another person when they do a good job or when something exciting happens to them.

4 - Prepare

At any given moment, you need to be ready. Warm-up. Practice, practice, practice. Be ready to catch and throw. To know where you will throw the ball if it comes your way. Life requires that same preparation. Read and study. Make a plan of action and work towards it.

5 - Be flexible.

There are always unexpected things that happen. Sometimes the ball will come your way and sometimes it won't. Sometimes you will need to throw it to first base and sometimes to home. Be willing to adapt. You won't succeed if you can't adapt to the changing circumstances.

6 - Listen to your coach

He knows what he is talking about.

7 - You can do hard things

Getting better at something is hard. Trying something new can be uncomfortable. But being nervous or unsure can't stop us from trying. Dig in. Work hard. The reward at the end is so great when you try something hard and do it!


If you happen to learn how to play baseball in the process, that's great too.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a fabulous post! There's a lesson in there for everyone!

Kerstin said...

If my future kids are anything like I am, I will need to tell them there is so much more to be learnt from playing sports!