Friday, February 19, 2016

energy


Sun. Warmth, joy, light.
Stormy clouds move in, and swift
the wind whips. Rain beats fast,
then slower until the storm lifts.

What is the sky but a mirror?
The clouds circling, full of energy,
or a clear blue and calm.
From cold torrent to dog days lethargy

We expect sunshine, shame the storm.
Yet both are needed for growth in truth.
I see my soul in the darkened clouds.
Today's storm with yield summer's fruit.


I was obsessed with the sky on Thursday. I love the view of the valley as I drive Katie to school and the effect the sky had on the entire valley had me entranced. It was cloudy on the east side, but the mountains on the west were all aglow in the sunshine. My view of downtown also had it lit up. When I went back to get Katie the sun was trying to force its way through the clouds and I put on my sunglasses. But as I turned around and headed back home, the buildings of downtown were shrouded in darkness from ominous storm clouds above. Next thing I knew, the lights flickered on and off in our house, thunder and lightening began, and we got a downpour of snow. We got about 3 fresh inches. The sun struggled with the clouds all afternoon and it finally won just in time for sunset. The sky was a lovely pink and all was calm.

Dave says I have a "swirly brain." Boy, is it ever swirly lately. I can't concentrate on mundane tasks, so I fill my time with things that mimic the thrill of mental and social engagement, without the actual satisfaction - word games, social media, dollar bin shopping at Target, looking at house plans or houses for sale in random locations, etc.  I finish feeling just as empty. What I need is an Endeavor. A quantifiable goal that engages and satisfies my mind. Something that uses all this pent up energy and channels it into something worthwhile. I am like a fidgety child who needs to run wild a little bit every day so that I can return to my tasks with renewed focus and energy.

The sky reminded me of that this week.

1 comment:

Jessie Gray said...

This rings all too true to me. I was in the same muddled mess. I started back to school and I feel like I see everything in a whole new light now. I focus on my desired task much more intently. I give my whole self to each thing I do. Weather I'm playing with the kids or folding the laundry. I feel more focused, on task, rejuvenated, fulfilled, and worthwhile. I wonder if you could find free classes offered at the park and rec, or a university or library that would give you some of you to focus on that would engage and satisfy your mind. Best of luck!!