Thursday, October 14, 2010

soup's on

Up until two years ago my soup making repertoire was limited to taco soup. And occasionally chicken noodle soup.

I suppose I had more soups than that, but its was a very planned thing if I made soup. (And most of the time they would involve cream of chicken soup in one step and I've all but sworn off the stuff.)

Then one day my sister-in-law made potato soup, and I thought "that sounds yummy." And I made it. It was yummy.

A little while after that, one of my favorite food blogs rookie-cookie came up with her "make a soup from anything" guide. So I started experimenting. Bean soup, lentil soup, beef soup, chicken and wild rice, etc. My love grew and grew and continues to grow to this day.

I now make soup at least once a week. A lot of times if I don't know what to make, I throw together a soup with whatever I have in the fridge. My recent favorite is homemade tomato soup. Served with a crusty grilled cheese sandwich and you, my friend, have ultimate comfort food.

The other day for lunch I made some corn chowder. I think the last time I had corn chowder was at my Grandma's house at least 10 years ago. It was so divine, I think I might have it again later this week.

And then tonight I made pumpkin-apple-cranberry-beef soup. The flavor was totally delicious. (The texture was a little mushy, so I need to work on that, but I totally nailed the seasonings. Delish!)

I usually like to make biscuits or french bread or have some yummy crackers on hand. Soups are like, my new favorite food.

Go make some!

3 comments:

L Anne Tanner said...

Hey Erin, you should send me some of your good recipes, I am going to do a re-do of the family cookbook, and would love anything good you have discovered since the last one :-)
Send in the new one you made. (although I cannot wrap my mind around pumpkin soup, I would have to get very brave and try it!!!)

Anonymous said...

Hello from one of your silent blurkers. Reading this made me think of a blog called "Soup Chick" (www.soupchick.com) who has all sorts of wonderful recipes. Of course, it sounds like you are doing just fine on your own...I never would have thought of some of the combinations you mention.

A said...

Hey I want your tomato soup recipe please!!!! and any others u care to post!