Sunday, January 23, 2011

action

In my very informal study of parenthood (and by "study" I mean casually observing and analyzing different families and their children and drawing broad conclusions based on specific examples) I have often wondered why kids raised on farms grew up so well. Farms always (and by "always I mean in the 4 or 5 examples that I can think of off the top of my head) seem to produce hardworking, straight arrow kids.

I also want my kids to be hardworking, straight arrow kids, but since a farm isn't in our immediate future for our family, I've wondered what I can do to teach my kids to work hard. So I've been taking a closer look at this idea. Here are some things I have noticed in my observations:

1.) Set the example.

If I am on the computer, Ana is a lot more likely to ask to watch a show. If I'm reading a book, or doing the dishes, or playing with them, both kids want to do what I am doing. If the house is clean, the kids are much more likely to put their things away.

2.) Begin young.

It seems that on a farm, as soon as kids are walking, they are working. Pulling weeds in the garden, helping feed the animals. There are jobs even the youngest can do, even inside. Washing windows and walls, wiping down the bathtub and sorting toys.

3.) Do it together!

Working with the kids yields much better results than dictating what they should do. As soon as we are all up and working, I suddenly don't have to beg the kids to help out; they WANT to.

All of these things are principles of Action. They require that we are actively doing things. We were created to act and not be acted upon. But it is not something that happens naturally. We need to consciously ACT. I have noticed, much to my chagrin, how much I react to the things around me. My housekeeping is done in reaction to a mess. As a parent I do the same thing. I react to a problem instead of actively seeking ways to engage the children and prevent problems.

As I have thought about all this stuff that's been swirling around my head, one thought keeps coming to my head: Create an atmosphere of action.

This is a daunting thought for me. It requires that I change almost all of my current habits, and I am sure to meet resistance from myself and my children in the process. I'm nervous to undertake such a lifestyle change. But I feel like this theme for the year is something that will be a great thing for myself and my family.

Now in the wake of a thorough housecleaning and finishing up season 5 of Psych, I feel like I'm finally ready to take on the challenge. Here's to a new year!

4 comments:

Kelli said...

What a great theme! I would do well to apply some of your observations and goals to my own family!
Good luck!

annie (the annilygreen one) said...

can we copy your theme? it's brilliant. difficult but totally worth it.

Mitch and Holly said...

I loved your observations, I agree and have felt I needed to work on it. We have kind of started that this year as well. We have been about "action". We get up eat, read scriptures, get dressed, hair done, and clean the house all before it's time to get Carlee from school at noon. I have involved my kids in cleaning instead of just doing it myself. It has helped.

Shaela said...

I've noticed the same things about farm kids... and drew the same conclusions! :) I love your theme but can completely understand your nervousness. But what a great thing to do for you and your family! I'm rootin' for you and look forward to seeing your progress throughout the year... and beyond. :)