Monday, April 18, 2011

mornings


I'm not a morning person. It's not that I'm grumpy or anything. It's just that Dave and I are night owls and we stay up way too late for our own good. Dave doesn't need as much sleep as I do. Usually he leaves for school before the kids wake me up. They are my alarm clock, and they are not early risers either.

I recognize that the current state of things will mean a big adjustment for Ana when school starts. So, I am ready to make a change to our morning routine.

So tell me, what is your morning routine like?

Do you have a strict schedule filled to brim with activities or more laid back?

Are your kids early risers? Do you wake up before them?

Do your kids have morning chores/responsibilities?

Is your house a mess on Mondays, too? (Just say yes and make me feel better.)

Come on internet friends, help me out here.

5 comments:

Terri said...

Are you kidding? Mondays are the worst housekeeping day of the week. Anyone who says differently is either lying, childless or abnormally anal.Really.
I am also a night owl with an alarm set for 6am. Call me.

Shaela said...

My house is always a mess. Well, more "untidy" than really messy. Sanitary but cluttered, you know?

We are all "early risers" if you will. We're all up before 7:30 usually. Normally the kids and I wake up around 7ish. For awhile (when I was getting to bed at a decent hour) I would wake up naturally at 6 or 6:30ish and it was WONDERFUL. I could read my scriptures and take a shower before the kids got up and I had to get them ready. :)

Our mornings used to be laid back, but when Caleb started school they started getting frantic. Caleb likes to play in the morning - he doesn't like to get up, get dressed, have breakfast, and go to school. So that means I usually have to wake him up around 7 otherwise he feels too rushed.

I have no idea what it's going to be like in the fall. John will most likely be getting the kids ready and off to school, and then himself ready and off to work.

Good luck - can't wait to hear how your new routine comes along!

Chad and Teri said...

Is my house a mess on Monday? Yes. My morning routine is like this: Chad and I wake up... he gets out of bed while I sleep more. When the baby wakes up he brings her to me, not because I have to feed her, but that will force me to get out of bed. Then he wakes up the older 2. Caleb usually is awake around 7, but likes to lay in bed and read. Then we all rush around to eat breakfast, fix lunches, get dressed, fix hair. Recently we have also been trying to read scriptures at breakfast. It works 3 days out of 5.

Let me give you the best tip that I need to implement into my own life: if you get up and get yourself ready before your kids have to be up your day will go much smoother. Ask your mom--she'll support me.

The Gray Gang said...

We are early risers. Like Early as in my first kid is usually up between 5:30 and 6, the 2nd soon to follow. I babysit a little boy that gets to our house by 7. Since February we are all up and showered/dressed before 7. Our day goes SO MUCH SMOOTHER. 90% of the time we are able to have breakfast as a family. It makes such a HUGE difference in our day and in my own life personally. I HOPE that I can keep it up once the baby comes and I don't have to be ready for someone to get here. (There is NO WAY IN HECKS NAME I WILL BE UP AND READY BEFORE MY KIDS!) It doesn't matter how SPOTLESS my house is before I go to bed on Saturday night it always looks like the remains of a tornado by Monday morning. I love a clean house but if it doesn't happen before 1:00 p.m. it ain't happenin! We have a sticker chart and if the kids do a random kind thing or well behaved thing they get a sticker and then they get a sticker for every chore they do. (they have to do 2 a day, any more after that is optional.) Our house stays much cleaner, they are starting to realize that when they leave a mess, they will be cleaning it up too!

Karianne said...

My morning routine:
7am-Lucas wakes up to his alarm clock, gets dressed, makes himself breakfast.
7:15-I hear all the kids getting breakfast and decide I had better get my booty out of bed and intervene before I have a mess on my hands.
7:30 Brody gets up and in the shower. I help Lucas get out the door for school (by 7:50) and try to get the breakfast dishes done and laundry going. In my ideal world, I would only do laundry two days a week, but let's be realistic here. I exercise at 9am three days a week. When I get home, I shower then get lunch for Alaina and get her off to school. One of the other days I get dressed to be to the school by 8:45 to help in class. Tuesday is pretty much my "stay in my jammies late" day, and I find that I am a little better about housework when I'm still in my jammies. Don't know why, but that's the truth. Once I'm dressed, that's it. I can't make myself do anything else besides a 4:00 pick-up and dinner. I know that is totally against what all those naturally on-top-of-it people would say, but after ten years of trying (unsuccessfully) to change, I am begining to embrace the housework-in-my-pj's thing. So that's my morning routine. Is that a routine?
And yes, Monday is the worst.
Oh, and I still do most of my "deep cleaning" on Saturday. That's another thing I have tried to change but just can't.