Thursday, February 9, 2012

the fighter

I am a fighter. I have a super defense mode that is very easily activated and when it is, I am ready to fight.

I remember one time when I was in college, I was at Wal-Mart with my mom when she suggested I use brown mascara instead of black: defense mode activated.

Any time I hear of (or think about) someone not vaccinating their kids because they think it causes autism (IT DOESN'T!): defense mode activated.

And if I feel my sense of self or belief system is under attack or being undermined: defense mode super-activated.

And wo be unto those who cross my path in super defense mode. Usually, that person is Dave. He puts up with a lot.

That's probably why I like to write. Something about putting my thoughts on paper eases my defenses. Here I sit tonight, in super defense mode because of some imagined attack, but instead of finding insignificant things to fight about (which is usually the result) I will write. Perhaps I will pull up a google doc and defend myself in a place no one will see, like a letter written and not sent. Then I will probably wash some dishes so I have clean spoons for breakfast.

And soon my defenses will be down, and I can be loveable again.

1 comment:

Kerstin said...

I can relate. Sometimes when I'm treated badly or just think that I have been treated badly, I keep having conversations/arguments in my mind and the longer they last, the more annoyed I get.

I secretly wish you would vent though... :-)