Tuesday, September 4, 2012

sweet is the peace the gospel brings

When we moved away, we made a stopped by my Grandpa's house in Utah. He was approaching his 90th birthday then. We visited for a bit with him and my aunt (my 2nd mom). As we drove away, heading for Vermont, I shed tears for Poppy because I knew it would be the last time in a long, long time.

Last night, at the age of 92, Poppy passed away.

He was a man of incredible faith and fortitude. Even in his last few days, he used his lucid moments to bear his testimony.

He is now reunited with his beautiful wife who died 10 years ago.

I've been thinking about Poppy today.

I've thought about every time I saw him he grabbed my hand really, really tight and said,

"Said Aaron to Moses,
'Let's cut off their noses.'
Said Moses to Aaron,
'They're better for wearin'. "

I thought about a few years ago when he told me his favorite hymn was "Have I done any good in the world today." And how he recited those words every evening and tried to live by that.

I thought about all the stories of incredible, miraculous faith he told at family reunions.

I thought about how much I loved spending time at their house, and seeing his beautiful flower garden.


Poppy will be missed. I am so glad for eternal families, and the "peace the gospel brings."

1 comment: