Tuesday, July 30, 2013

serve with a smile: (mini-challenge #1)

Thanks for your comments on my post yesterday. I know such amazing people.


I once head someone say, "Don't do something for someone that they can do for themselves."  It is all in the name of curbing entitlement and what not. There are times when I resent even small requests for help from my older kids or from Dave in the name of "They can do it themselves."  Today I decided to go the other direction. I woke up determined to serve with a smile.  To be willing to step away from what I was doing to help or to serve. Now that the day is over, I can see evidence that my willingness to serve helped the atmosphere in the home way more than it hindered it. As I sit typing this, I don't even feel like I was being imposed upon either. In fact, I feel happier for serving my family.

Now, the first rule of experimentation is to isolate the variable. Okay, I don't know if that is the first rule, but it is a rule. Today was a day of many variables, so it is difficult to analyze the result. Maybe I feel happier because I hit 23 out of 24 pitches at the batting cage tonight.  Or that I helped a friend paint her basement after the kids were in bed.

Whatever. I am happy tonight.

2 comments:

Kerstin said...

Hitting always helps. :-)

I don't believe the saying. I believe that sometimes people need to be lazy and it's not a bad think if you bring them for example a drink even though they could have done that easily themselves. It's just important that it isn't a one-way-street and that your drinks will be brought to you as well from time to time.

Heather said...

this is really cool! you are awesome!