Monday, January 13, 2014

new year's resolutions

As I peruse my list of resolutions for this year, one thing pops out in my mind.

I must be craving a routine.

Seriously, for the last several months, I am mostly flying by the seat of my pants. Some mornings I get busy and do stuff, some I just sit around. Most days I feel frazzled and frustrated. Often I see my kids as interruptions of all the stuff I have to do instead of the reason I do it all.

So, that's going to change this year. I am ready to get cracking and making my days more purposeful and routined. Maybe then Katie won't fight quite so much when it is time to get dressed or go pick up the kids. Maybe then it will be easier to not let the computer suck the life out of my day. Maybe then I will actually get healthy if I have a set aside time to exercise. Maybe then I won't let the day go without reading my scriptures if it is part of my routine.

Specifically, my goals are:

1. Exercise regularly and eat more fruits and veggies. (I want to write more about this later.)

2. Read the Old Testament. (This is the one book of scripture that I don't think I have read cover to cover. So I am going to.)

3. No computer time until my morning routine is done. (I mean seriously, if I expect my kids to get their morning stuff done before TV, shouldn't I hold myself to the same standard?)

4. Speak more kindly. (This one isn't quite so routine-y, but I think it will come more naturally as I do the above things. It seems like it is already.)

I will also say a word about New Year's Resolutions. I have decided the reason why people (me included) are less than successful every year is because they try to focus on everything all at once. I think we would all have more success if we took smaller steps and focused on one thing at a time.  If I work out one day but the rest of my morning wasn't as routined, (I made up that word) that is still a success. If I was really kind to my children but seemed to miss my exercise, that was a success. If I get them all in, great. But if not, it is okay too. Also, we focus on the negative things. We want to LOSE weight. We want to yell less. We want to waste less time. And then when we mess up we beat ourselves up about it. Maybe I am the only one who does that. This year, I am focusing on positive things and praising myself for my successes instead of getting down on myself for the slip ups. That is my success plan for the year.

I know not everyone is into Resolutions. I am. I like the clean slate and a fresh start. I like that there is an easy way to categorize life and change. I like that I can look back on a year and say, "That was the year I _____."  The year is an objective measure of time.  And so many things about life are not objective.

4 comments:

Dana said...

I could have written this exact same post. We are on the same page sista! Good luck!! Every day is a new day.

Melissa said...

Love this Erin! I feel like I'm in the same place you are as well. I want to join in your resolutions! :)

Kerstin said...

You're not the only one who beats herself up about it.
Funnily enough, my resolutions is having a routine as well. I also believe that I get more acomplished when I do it every day.

And as for the double standard with children: Sometimes I do thngs which I wouldn't allow to my future children and I believe that this is very wrong!

Kerstin said...

How do you do with your routine? I did well for a few days and then I was a slacker. This morning, I followed it again. On my way to work, I remembered that I had forgotten something and I thought of you and how to ignore the one slip-up.