Isn't December a sneaky month. It always seems to show up on my doorstep and yell "surprise." Time seems to inch forward some days, but I blink and the weather is cold and Christmas lights go up. I just want to sit around a read books. Sometimes I think I don't read hardly at all, but I actually sat down and made a list of books I have actually finished this year and it was more than I expected. The first part of the year it seemed many of the books I read were about race in one way or another. I reread the Harry Potter series. I read books for book club that I really enjoyed and I also read a couple of parenting books. I particularly liked one I read called Simplicity Parenting. It was while reading this one that I realized something about myself that I didn't notice before.
I worry a lot.
I never really thought of myself as a worry-er. I am generally a go-with-the-flow, up-for-anything type. But as a parent, I worry.
Are they doing good enough in school?
Am I teaching them what they need to?
What is the deal with this bad attitude?
I don't know what I am doing.
If I let them get away with this then they will be spoiled for life.
I need to do ______ better or they will never ______.
If I do that then other parents will judge me.
If they do that then they won't have any friends.
Am I doing all I can so my kids can be extraordinary? so that they can be happy?
My worry defines my parenting.
I don't want it to. It is exhausting and it saps me of joy and happiness. It is driven by fear and doubt and ingratitude. I've always considered myself a person with strong faith, yet my actions and attitudes towards my kids portray a lack of faith - in myself, in them and in God.
But I want JOY to define my parenting. Real deep meaningful joy. And Joy only comes when we allow ourselves to fully commit to the moment we are in. I forget sometimes that the way to teach my children to have faith is by having faith IN THIS MOMENT that God will guide me each step of the way and that he can guide them too. The way to teach them happiness and kindness is by being happy and kind even IN THE MOMENT when they are acting in unloving ways.
I've had some interesting experiences with Gratitude lately and I feel like that is the key to unlocking the Joy now. And I don't mean gratitude in a "count your blessings" way, but gratitude in the moment. What does this moment show me about God's love?
I hear a Charlie waking up from his nap and Jack and Katie playing the Mario Brothers. Ana is at a friend's house. It isn't a perfect moment. Jack is annoyed that Katie keeps dying. Charlie is sick and hasn't slept much the last few days. But I can choose to see God's love in it.
Time to step into the moment, worry free.
2 comments:
Simplicity Parenting! I didn't get a chance to finish the book, now I'm dying to get back to it. Love your perspective on JOY defining your parenting. I need to let go of some worry too. Love reading your beautiful thoughts, Erin!
I feel my brain starting to spin and play with this concept of worry and/or joy defining us in our kids eyes. Insightful.
Post a Comment