Wednesday, July 6, 2016

the day after independence day

This morning Katie and I were talking about talents. It's an interesting idea to talk to a 4 year old about because it's not something I quite understand. Is a talent something you are born with or something you develop? I think its a little of both. I don't think I could have worked hard enough to be a professional basketball player, considering I only grew to be 5'2". Anyway, Jack had said something about how you only can have one talent and it's the thing you do the very best. I interjected and said you could be talented in anything if you work hard for it. So, we decided a talent was something that you work at until you get good at it. Katie was satisfied with that definition so we started talking about the people in our families and what they do well. When I asked her what my talent was, she told me ....

Eating.

That's right. My 4 year old says I am a talented eater. Now, I don't mean to brag, but I do practice A LOT! And I thoroughly enjoy it. I can eat one handed. I can eat quickly or take my time. I have many styles and techniques. I can snack all day or stuff myself full. It takes dedication, and I am dedicated to my art.


In other news, we had a fabulous holiday yesterday. We had a neighborhood breakfast, friends over for grilled kabobs and hot dogs, and fireworks on the nearby golf course.

neighborhood breakfast. i really loved Ana's firework face paint.

who doesn't love this?

waiting for the fireworks with a gorgeous sunset.




I love America.  It is a physically beautiful place.  The red rocks of Southern Utah. New England in the fall. Hidden waterfalls. Wheel line sprinklers on a green field. A cactus rising above the desert. Beauty is everywhere.  There is beauty in its history too. Not all of it, but much of it is. I truly believe the ideals it was founded on changed the world for a better.  I love its diversity of perspectives and experiences and people. I'm grateful for the opportunities I have because of where I am from and for the opportunities my children will have as well.


God Bless America.
Land that I love.
Stand beside her, and guide her
through the night with a light from above.


1 comment:

Bryan and Christy Clark said...

I love your whole ode to your craft of eating! That's hilarious! And totally accurate for myself also.