Friday, January 16, 2009

lost in a book


Though I don't profess to be a great or avid reader, I enjoy a good book. Admittedly, growing up my idea of a good book was generally confined to cheesy church novels, and I still, I confess, enjoy the genre immensely.

My siblings and I were raised to be readers and I do believe most, if not all of us, get easily neglectful when we encounter a good book. My sister Karianne read 15 books last summer. I love getting lost in a book. The house turns to ruins, my children are neglected and I can think of nothing else as I turn page after page. Which is why, as much as I love it, I don't read as often as I would like.

The last week or so my addiction has been with The Scarlet Pimpernel, which I really liked. I have never seen the play or musical and did not know the story at all, and in the last 24 hours, the story has consumed my thoughts. This time, I listened to the book on Dave's I-pod, so my housework was not neglected. In fact, when the kids went to bed last night and I picked up the "book" again, I did the dishes, mopped the kitchen floor, and cleaned the front room. Then I picked up it this morning again and scrubbed the bathroom, put away all the laundry, cleaned up the bedrooms, fed Jack twice and put tonight's dinner in the crockpot, all the while completely engrossed in the story while Ana watched PBS. I finished at about 12:30 this afternoon.

It was a great book, and I really liked the convenience of listening to it on the I-pod. Although, when it was over, I missed the satisfaction of closing the completed book and tossing it aside, as is my habit when I finish a book I like. I usually keep it close by, and peruse my favorite parts again a few times. I can't quite do that this time.

But, at least, my housework wasn't neglected. I'd recommend the book.

6 comments:

L Anne Tanner said...

I'm jealous that you finished the book already! I have to hurry and finish so we can talk! Your blog reminded me of Mr. Popper (Mr. Popper's Penguins) who loved winter because he had a summer job and couldn't work in the winter. Therefore he could spend the cold winter season curled up with his globe and a book about far away places.

Shaela said...

I LOVE to read, and have read more books in my life than I can ever count. But when I had kids, that suddenly went out the window. For three years I didn't touch a novel, and I gawked at my mommy friends who would talk about the books they were reading. How the heck did they find the time? Then, alas, one day I was sick and picked up one of my all time fave novels and started reading. As the afternoon wore on, I realized my mommy friends really DIDN'T have more time than me... they just chose to spend the time reading rather than cooking, cleaning, playing with the kids, etc. So, like you, now when I pick up a book, all else is lost until I finish it. I sure wish I could find some great books on cd or mp3 like you - then I would be as productive as you were! :) (and btw, I LOVED that book, too!)

Kristine said...

I would love to read that book! Maybe I'll get it next time at the library. And I am impressed with everything you got done while listening! I am the same way in that everything else gets neglected when I am sucked into a book.

Janae said...

I feel the same way about reading now. I love to read, but my life is put on hold when I do. And I have to say that Scarlet Pimpernel is one of my top 10 favorite books! I LOVE it! (way to go with getting the CD--I'm bad at listening to books, can't focus!)

Janae said...

I feel the same way about reading now. I love to read, but my life is put on hold when I do. And I have to say that Scarlet Pimpernel is one of my top 10 favorite books! I LOVE it! (way to go with getting the CD--I'm bad at listening to books, can't focus!)

Kristen said...

Whats up Erin! I was thinking about you today and thought I would hop on your adorable blog and say hello! I hope you are doing well! Love ya!