I really believe that music is such a powerful force. The melodies, the words, and the feeling of a song stays with us longer than anything else. The other day I started listening to a song that I hadn't heard in years and I remembered every word.
Dave also is very musical, but in a very different way. His taste in music is very different from mine, and he likes music for very different reasons. (I like the sentimentality of country music. He doesn't really like country.) He has a naturally nice tenor voice, but has very little vocal training. He has very natural rhythm. He plays the guitar quite well, and played the drums a lot in high school. He is a natural at strumming and picking difficult rhythms on the guitar, and he can hear and keep up with difficult drum beats.
I guess its only natural that Ana would take to music so much. A few months back, I made her a guitar. It still sits in our music corner and gets played with, and it is trashed. A month or so later, I made her a violin. She loves it. It is definitely her best used toy. She plays with it for hours every day (not at once, but cumulatively). She can recognize the sound of a violin (and a piano and a guitar) when she hears one. About a week ago, we were downstairs visiting at the house, and Dave's SIL was practicing a musical number with a violinist. Ana insisted on getting her violin and she stood right by her and pretended to play through the whole song. Everyday she wants to listen to the Suzuki violin music. When she "plays," she sings the rhythm to the violin part on that CD. I think we will be getting her a real violin, and start her in lessons, close to her birthday.
10 comments:
what a sweet little girl! Music is a big part of my life too. I can claim singing, piano, guitar and recorder (seriously - I still play!) :) I also compose songs, both on piano and guitar, with and without lyrics. I love the scripture in D&C when the Lord says "my soul delighteth in the song of the heart; yea, the song of the righteous is a prayer unto me"
p.s. yes, I am coming to Idaho! it is a quick trip, and I don't have time for everything I want to do. :( Are you guys in Ruppert still? How close is that to Rexburg? I'm going to Pocatello and Rexburg... let me know where you're at and maybe we can get together!
I love music too. It's so fun to see you passing it on to Ana. She's so cute! And you've already got her listening to Suzuki CD's...you're on the ball. I wish we lived nearby. I'm starting Aubrey and those two would have such fun playing violin together!
I think Alaina is naturally musical. She loves to sing and sings all day. I am trying to decide when to start Lucas in music lessons and how ambitious to be with.
I know a GREAT teacher if you guys are still here when she plays!
adorable!
It is a great idea to sign Ana up for violin at an early age. Those are the poeple who really go far. Josh wanted to play violin at about age 4 but I couldn't afford a violin and nobody rented them back in the day. I wish he could have done it, he would have been a natural. Emily's violin teacher (I bet she's the same one Amy knows)told us if kids start before age five they will have a much more natural hold on the bow. There are a lot of musical games and activities for young children that Ana would love as well.
That is so neat. I saw Elder Faust's daughter perform at a concert at Christmas time. She plays the Violin so amazing. I think she started at like age 3. Keep up the good work.
I meant to say Elder Oaks's daughter.Jenny Oaks Baker.
p.s. come visit my blog - you have an award waiting for you! :)
Post a Comment