Tuesday, August 11, 2009

why

Ana is in the "why" phase.

What are you doing, Mommy?
Washing the dishes.
Why are you washing the dishes?
Cuz they are dirty.
Why are they dirty?
Because we ate off them.
Why are they dirty cuz we ate off them?

Or driving in the car:

Why did you stop Mommy?
Because there was a stop light.
Why is there a stop light?
To keep us safe.
Why to keep us safe?
So that cars don't bump into each other.
Why so cars don't bump into each other?

...

I don't want to squash the inquisitive nature of my little girl, so usually by the 3rd "why" I try to answer with a question like, "what do you think?" This usually stops it for a little while.

But, man, its not my favorite phase.

6 comments:

Emily said...

I feel your pain about the "why" phase. My daughter has been stuck in it for at least six months now and I love the curiosity, but sometimes silence is needed! :)

Shaela said...

my kids both skipped the "why" stage. Instead, Caleb asks "What does ____ do to people?" For example: What do trees do to people? They give us shade and we can make paper from them. What does paper do to people? We can use it to write letters and draw pictures. What do pictures do to people?

See a trend? ;)

Kristine said...

That is too funny! Grant is always asking me "Mommy, what are you doing?" I try to ask a question back to end his millions of questions, too. :)

Amy said...

I LOVE that picture!!

L Anne Tanner said...

My favorite questions are the ones I don't know the answer to. Then we get to have a discovery adventure together to find out the answers.

Unknown said...

I keep answering the questions until I can't take it anymore, and then I just start answering "I don't know." After enough of those, my kids lose interest. Well, they did ..... when they were in that phase. Have fun!!