Thursday, March 10, 2011

thanks to a stranger


Jack got his stitches out this morning. It was a little traumatizing. So we went out to Wendy's afterward for lunch. It was a good time. We chatted and ate and the kids said cute things. Ana wouldn't let me share her frosty, but then Jack said, "You can have some of mine, Mommy," and gave me a big spoonful. Then Ana decided to share too, so I got plenty of bites. I taught them the proper way to each Wendy's french fries (dipped in the frosty, of course). We were mostly done and starting to finish up when a woman who was sitting near us approached me.

"You have the most beautiful children I have ever seen," she said. "And they are so well-behaved!" She then told me about how her kids were grown up and it made her happy to see children like mine. "They are just wonderful!" And then she walked out.

I admit, I got a little teary-eyed as I watched her walk away.

I've been very frustrated with my parenting lately. Let's say I'm at my wit's end. I am tired. I am cooped up inside. And I feel guilty at the amount of "screen time" that has naturally resulted. This has not been good for my psyche, and I am often frustrated as I compare the mommy I know I should be with the mommy I am.

But as this woman walked away from me I thought, "You are doing all right."

So, thanks, random lady in Wendy's, for helping me a little today.

3 comments:

Keri said...

I feel the same way with parenting right now. What a wonderful lady!!

Unknown said...

Whenever you're feeling like you're not being the mother you should, stop and ask yourself if you're doing the best you can. "Should" is the most guilt-inducing, insecurity-laden word and needs to be eliminated from the English language, except in dire circumstances where its use may actually be appropriate. You are doing a wonderful job, and don't you doubt it!

A said...

I've always thought your children were striking:)