Monday, May 2, 2011

mother's week: day 1 - random thoughts


I've had the topic of "womanhood" on my mind lately. Specifically, what is our role as women and daughters of God? I've been studying and thinking and pondering. Society portrays images of women and families that are vastly different from what I believe.

I believe that the most important role a woman can have is that of a mother.

I believe that men and women bring different and complementary qualities into a relationship and that we need each other reach our full potential.

I believe that our bodies are sacred and that principles of modesty and virtue are vitally important to our happiness.

As a mother of 1 1/2 daughters, I feel the weighty responsibility to instill these beliefs into them. I wonder how to teach them to be both strong and gentle, to value education and motherhood, to both want a family and know that their worth is not contingent on whether or not they are married.

I saw a bumper sticker the other day that read, "well-behaved women rarely make history." As I thought of that quote, I decided they have it all wrong. Well-behaved women are the ones that shape history the most. In scripture, we have Eve, Ruth, Esther, and ultimately, Mary, the mother of Christ. All were well-behaved women of significant influence.

I think I'd rather be a well-behaved woman.

"When the real history of mankind is fully disclosed, will it feature the echoes of gunfire or the shaping sound of lullabies? The great armistices made by military men or the peacemaking of women in homes and in neighborhoods? Will what happened in cradles and kitchens prove to be more controlling than what happened in congresses?" (source)

Over the next few days, in honor of Mother's Day, I thought I'd share some experiences and thoughts on motherhood and womanhood and families. I'd like to hear your thoughts too.

6 comments:

lori said...

My thoughts are beautifully written Erin. I agree:)

Terina said...

You are in inspiration. I was reading this and thought of a book I bet you would love

eve and the choice made in eden by beverly campbell

Amy said...

Erin, you are a great mother. Your children are very lucky to have such amazing parents.

Shaela said...

Beautifully said... and so in line with my own thoughts and feelings of late. :)

Jessica said...

Laurel Thatcher Ulrich's quote was meant to communicate that "well-behaved women" seldom get written about in history books. This is demonstrably true. But your assertion that their efforts are far more important in the long run is also quite correct.

annie (the annilygreen one) said...

i hate to disagree, but those women you listed were anything but well-behaved! we read about and remember and honor eve, ruth, esther, and mary because they stood out in society. they did things all "wrong" in order to stand up for what's right and be the daughters God wanted them to be. i think that's what we're doing when we make the unpopular choice to excel at motherhood instead of focusing on things society says are more important