Perhaps it is the time of year. I usually wax all philosophical when the year is drawing to a close. Re-evaluation and all that.
Lately I've been in a rut. It isn't the stress of the season - my shopping is all done. Perhaps it is the dreary days a bit. But I think it is something else.
I was reading through status updates on my facebook account and things started jumping out at me. "Can I go back to bed?" "My children are driving me crazy." "Sick again! Can we ever catch a break?" "Can't sleep - too much on my mind." "This is so irritating!" "I hate it when...."
(This isn't to say that I don't want to hear about trials and struggles that others are going through. I do. I want to know when my close friends and family need prayers and help and support. Hard time come to us all. I hope that my family and friends know they can open up to me. )
It isn't just on facebook. News stories (particularly comments to news stories) are filled with derision and judgements. About the campaign, about the Duggars, about some so-called celebrity, about religious people, about non-religious people. Blogs dedicated to "people I want to punch in the face." It doesn't stop. The internet is full of complainers and if you spend too much time there (like I do) it starts to seep in too.
The negativity affects me. It changes how I respond to my kids. It changes how I respond to my husband. And the time I spend in it takes me away from my wonderful children and life. It is time for a change. Life was meant to be enjoyed.
In the midst of all this negativity, I came across this video:
I was moved to tears.
I hope this Christmas finds your family happy and healthy. I hope I find time this week to look beyond myself. To be cheerful and loving. To enjoy life.
The days are long. But the years are short. I do not want to spend them whining.
2 comments:
Amen. :)
I made my kids watch this with me this morning. I loved this video. It was a great way to start the day. You always write things so well I echo Shaela!
Post a Comment