Wednesday, July 10, 2013

drive-in

A couple weekends ago we were thinking of taking the kids the movies. They had earned it (though I don't remember how) and we all wanted to go. So we decided to head to the Drive-In. The double feature of choice was Monsters University and Iron Man 3. (Both shows were awesome by the way. MU was just as good as the original, I think.) Which brings me to....

Top 8 (because I couldn't come up with 2 more) reasons why going to the Drive-In is my favorite way to watch a movie.

1.) We can take the kids to the theater and watch two new movies for only 20 bucks!

2.) Bring your own snacks. This time we brought homemade popcorn and oreos. Perfect!

3.)The old-timey playground. It had an actual teeter totter and a merry-go-round. What?!?




4.) It's late enough that by the time the kid movie is over, the kids are so tired they just curl up in the back seat and fall asleep, leaving us to watch our movie.

5.) I didn't have to worry so much about keeping Katie quiet. She watched most of the movie, but then got squirmy and tired somewhere in the middle.

6.) Adjustable volume. (I really don't like that the music is so much louder than the dialogue in most movies. I usually keep the volume down and turn on the captions.) (Does that make me sound old?) (I also like game shows.)

7.) Bedtime consists of carrying the kids into their beds. 5 minutes instead of an hour. Yes, please!

8.) It is socially acceptable to curl up in a blanket to watch the movie.  I haven't tried doing that at a regular theater, but I have a feeling it is more on the "unacceptable" side of the spectrum.



After this trip, I now have 3 things on my list of "Things I need in (or within 30 minutes of) the town we live when we grow up and get a real job": a temple, a Target, and a Drive-In theater.

3 comments:

Sara K. said...

Drive-in movie theaters are shutting down like crazy all over the U.S. because nobody goes to them anymore! How sad! When we got matched to Wake Forest we saw there was a drive -in nearby and we were excited but then they couldn't open their doors this summer and are now officially out of business :( cherish the Sunset Drive-In, Erin! Cherish it!

Jill said...

There's one in West Valley that's been there forever (like my dad used to work there as a teen).

Erin L said...

Sara: Sad! I think we will have to go again this summer just for you!

Jill: Yay!