Saturday, July 6, 2013

independence

 "In this struggle for freedom, at home and abroad, our greatest weapon, both a sword and a shield will be our love of and faith in God. "


We headed downtown Thursday evening with a cooler of snacks, a blanket and lots of bug spray to  watch the fireworks over Lake Champlain.  It was hot and muggy and there were people everywhere. We found a spot right on the boardwalk and danced to the music as we waited for the sun to set.

Our friends brought glow-sticks for the kids, which they loved, (and which were literally a lifesaver since we lost Katie for about 30 seconds and Ana found her because of her glow-stick necklace). The adults sat talking and laughing and munching.

The fireworks began. Katie was nervous. She liked the lights, but they were too loud. She didn't cry, she just watched with her hands over her ears. She started on my lap, the moved to Daddy's, then finally ended up on our friend Sara's lap next to her best friend Kenzie. I couldn't take my eyes off of Katie's face. At times the fireworks were so bright that her whole face lit up like noon-day.  I hope a love of freedom is always shining out from that little face.






Friday morning we again packed our blanket and bug spray and sunscreen to head out to the parade.  As the parade began, two boy scouts at the front held signs to remind spectators to stand as the American flag progressed down the street. My heart swelled with pride. I was always a little bothered here at how few people stood up when the flag came passed, and it made my heart so happy to see so many people rise to the occasion. (Thank you, Boy Scouts!)

The parade was great. I loved the community bands riding on floats. Jack loved that Captain America was in it the parade and we all loved getting candy and popsicles and stickers. Katie waved to everyone through the whole thing. Several otter-pops later, the parade was over and we packed our things and scurried to our car.


Independence Day is a perfect holiday. It is a celebration without expectation. It is wonderful in its simplicity. Fireworks. A parade. A gathering of friends for hamburgers and homemade ice cream. Katie playing in the mud. (Though that is a daily occurance). The day ended with sparklers and baths.









I am proud to be an American. My heritage is rich with people of faith and perseverance and loyalty to their country. America is a beautiful land full of abundance. It is a land of so much promise. So many times in its history it has been a beacon of liberty and light. I choose to love it. I choose to believe in it. I choose to go forward with optimism. All over the world, there are good, wonderful people. I choose to believe in those people and the force for good they can be all over the world.


"I think it is time we should all awaken. Our concern isn’t about the flames of freedom which burn so brightly in our generation; the concern is that in the upcoming generation the fire has never been kindled. Our youth have never known anything but criticism of the United States of America. We need some faithful, free-loving patriots who will issue forth a clear, loud trumpet call. Remember Paul’s counsel: “For if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare … to the battle?” (1 Cor. 14:8.) Freedom ought to ring in the heart of every Latter-day Saint regardless of his country." 
(source for both quotes)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It was a fun 2 day celebration with you guys starting with dancing and fireworks, and ending with adult sparkler time and lots of good conversation and laughing!! Such a fun couple of days! And a WHOLE lot of ice cream throughout the day!

Erin L said...

Of course! Do you have any more? I might need some more.