Saturday, May 10, 2014

quebec, quebec city - come on *

I know, you were all expecting a mother's day post. I should write something poetic about all the mothers in my life or my mother or what being a mother means to me. I may still, but not tonight. I tried to do this post a few days ago but my internet was being weird. Seriously, though, this month is slipping by like sand through my fingers. The harder I try to grasp it the faster it is going. 

Anyway....

For spring break we planned on taking the whole the week to go to New Hampshire, Maine and then up to Quebec City. But we ended up shortening our last trip to just Quebec City. We went with some of our very best friends, the Dahles. I wish I got a picture of all of us together, but somehow that didn't happen. It was an awesome trip. Good friends, good food and a great place to enjoy it all. Luckily for us, we had a french speaker among us, which made this so much better, because I get awkward when I can't understand what people are saying. We walked a lot, but the kids did great. Saturday was rainy, so we didn't do quite as much that day, but it was still awesome. On Sunday we went to mass at a super old church, which was really cool.

And now, the pictures:
on the road. Dave is wearing my sunglasses. teehee.




Skinny alley

yummy Moroccan restaurant


Cool mural (on the right) and street

Quebec city is the only walled city in North America outside of Mexico This is part of the wall


The hotel Frontenac. This is wear D-day was planned.

From another angle

playing on the cannons


Cool walking street

Katie walked or was carried the whole time.

We stopped and let the kids play at this little park for a while.

Katie filled her shoes with sand.

There was still lots of snowpiles around

Happy

The kids loved the diorama and video about Quebec City at the Musee Du Fort.

A panoramic view of the diorama


Inside the hotel du Frontenac


We got yummy pastries at this little bakery. Look in the window. :)



Cool little street with Frontenac in the background

Cool square and church.
The kids. I am pretty sure they walked on every ledge in the entire city.

The Church where we went to Mass celebrates their 350th anniversary this year. The Vatican gave them a Holy Door to commemorate. It was really cool. You could only use it to enter the church and it had its own sanctuary.

A tiny picture of Katie and Dave giving thumbs up during lunch. So cute!
So there you have it. Quebec City was awesome and was my first real international experience. I have been to Montreal and Vancouver in Canada, but they felt very American. Quebec City totally does not. It was awesome and we made some great memories. Of course the kids just wanted to swim in the hotel pool the whole time, but I think they had an all around good time. What a way to wrap up our time here in the east.


*The movie Planes has a song in it where they rap "New York, New York City, Come on." My kids changed to words and sang it over and over the whole trip.

No comments: