has once again flooded Rexburg. Jam-packed Wal-mart (especially last Saturday - I made the mistake of going that day.) traffic, pedestrians, and a little bit of nostalgia. I took Dave up to class today and as I watched all the students walking around I started thinking about the last 4 Septembers. 2003 - my first semester at college. The first weekend my roomies and I went to the Rascal Flatts/Phil Vassar concert at the fair in Blackfoot. Way cool. We were instant friends. That year I made tons of friends, and we all went back to the same ward the next year. 2004 - The first weekend I went back to Pocatello to run a half-marathon. That year was a blast! Loved my roommates, and I got engaged! Great year. 2005 - newlywed. I mostly took night classes that fall because I was working. I got pregnant and changed my major that year. But I still knew tons of people up on campus and it was always fun to see them. 2006 - new baby. Most of the people I knew were graduated. I was too busy with my family to worry about it. Then I graduated.
2007 - stay at home mom. I saw a bunch of girls walking together the other day. I remember being one of those girls. I was loud and outgoing. I'm not like that as much anymore. Though I don't miss being single, sometimes I miss the "me" that I was back then. Carefree, outgoing, tons of stuff to do... I was reading my scriptures like I should and doing baptisms for the dead almost

every month. I couldn't wait until I could go whenever I wanted. Now I can and don't go as often as I should. I just wanted to be married. Its funny, many of those girls just want to be in my shoes... stay at home mom in a regular family ward with a good husband. Its not that things are different than I thought they'd be. Its that I'm different than I thought I'd be. Its still good though.
For the sake of this walk down memory lane, here's a picture of my and one of my best friends, and roommate, Laura.
5 comments:
oh sweet memories of college life. i went through it with 2 kids by the end. but i too miss hanging with the girls and doing that kind of stuff. but i'm kind of glad that we don't live in rexburg right now for that walmart/people everywhere reason. soon things will get better. how much longer are you guys going to be there?
Isn't it crazy how life changes? I sometimes miss those crazy care-free college days, too. I loved it, and yet I was so consumed with wanting to get married that I didn't realize how much fun I was having. I am glad to be doing what I am doing now though.
Dave graduates in April.
Erin, I love reading your thoughts and insights. It is so good to hear. I can't imagine a subdued Erin though. I am coming home in a week ans sure would love to see you and the fam if you are around. I will also be home December 14-26(ish) for Chelsea's wedding and Christmas so we could play then too.
Erin, I don't know you, but have seen your link on the blogs of several of my old friends from Rexburg. I'm guessing you knew them in the 9th ward. We moved from there in April 2005, so probably just before you got married & moved in. Anyway...I enjoyed reading your post about the good old college days. I love to reminisce about those times. It's funny because I remember being newlywed & my husband asking me if I wanted to go to that concert that you spoke about. (We decided not the spend the money.) So, now that I've said a whole lot to someone I don't even know, I hope you don't think I'm weird. Someday you may even miss Rexburg.
Post a Comment