
I have been reading this book. It's written to LDS mothers, and I found it particularly applicable to me. Its a great book with some good insights. She writes about her experiences, as both a single professional and a full time mom, and quotes many Church leaders who have spoken about the importance of motherhood.
It made me stop and reflect on my role as a mother. I thought about all the times I go on autopilot mothering, or just try to keep Ana occupied by herself instead of playing with her. While thinking of the influence that I really have as a mother, I feel like I should be a more involved mother - playing with Ana more, doing Family Home Evening more diligently, being more consistant with my discipline.
It also made me think about the "Supermom" trend that I feel is all around. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed when I see other moms with perfectly clean, decorated homes who seem to find time to scrapbook, have a side business, sew, bake, and whatever else. But really, I just want to be a good mother. Thoughtful, warm, affectionate, loving. What does it matter if the floor doesn't get vacuumed for one more day? Or I send a store bought Thank You instead of making them myself? Its okay. What is really important is that I am a mother.
4 comments:
Looks like something I need to read...
I loved this book. It is very uplifting and has some really good insight about being a mom and what an important job it is.
I have this book as well, but I havn't read it yet. That'll be something to do this week. Thanks.
Sounds like a book I would enjoy. Everytime I am ever around you I tell J.D. what an amazing mom I think you are So keep up the great work!
Post a Comment