Now, its Jack's turn. I think I put those books back on the shelf 3 or 4 times a day. Today, while engaged in just such an activity, I was remembering that Ana did the same thing. Although, when Ana did it, I used to leave the books on the floor for days. I just figured they would end up there again anyway.
I have been told at times that I am little "too laid back" in my parenting style. Maybe that's right. Like how my children run around without pants on most afternoons. (Pants = more laundry. We're not going anywhere.) And how they like to jump on the couch and/or pull the cushions off. And how I don't fix Ana's hair everyday.
But its mostly just a matter of finding what works. I have been known to be "intense." I decided that "if I cared about anything I would have to care about everything. And I'd go stark raving mad." (name that movie). So I choose not to care. There are things that have eternal consequences and that is what I care about.
Slowly I'm learning that more and more things are worth caring about. I used to not make my bed because Dave is so tall that he would pull the sheets out of the bottom every night and it wasn't worth it. Then I realized that I didn't have to tuck the sheets in at all. If I just straighten it up a bit, it makes my whole room look a lot cleaner.
And I do the dishes every night. And vacuum almost every day. And I usually fold my laundry right out of the dryer. I've realized that if I keep the entertainment center cleared off, it makes the living room look more put together.
And I clean up those darn books all day long. But I'm not quite ready to make him stop pulling them off. Its just not worth caring about.
5 comments:
I couldn't agree more. It seems the only time I put the cushions back on the couch is if I need to sit on one or if someone is coming over. I've also found that we can overwhelm ourselves with stuff that doesn't matter, and then we are putting the 'important' things to the side! Like, PLAYING with the kiddies!
You're right; it's not very important. What I do, however, that saves me the mess is pack the books on the lower shelves super tight. I make it tough for anyone to pull them out, adults included, but it saves a ton of time!
i'd rather be a little laid back and not have my kids in therapy by the time they're 12 because i was such a psycho about things. :)
Don't feel bad about the pants...we are like that too! There are more important things in life than a house that looks like a museum. You are a great mommy! with darling kiddos. Just love love love them!
Its good that you are writing all these things down. I hope you are saving the blogs for futures reference, you will really enjoy reading them later. (and I am really enjoying reading them now. I'm glad you are a frequent blogger)
Post a Comment