
My children must think I am mute. They must think so, because they seem to not hear what I say. It's been one of those
It's under these conditions that I came to a realization today:
Ana is so much like me. I am so much like Ana. The things that drive me the most crazy about Ana are the qualities most like some of my own.
*Last Monday I wrote the following in my journal.
"Today was a "yes" day. Ana is home for Thanksgiving Break, I didn't get a lot of sleep last night, so I woke up this morning without any energy to say "no." And though they watched TV all morning, we made bread, did the dishes, made Dave lunch and took it to him, went to the local children's museum, did a "Thankful Tree," ate 3 meals, AND made s'mores together AND did jobs AND still got the bed before 8. Not only that, but we made it through the day with no fits or tears and Ana was very cooperative.
Perhaps my expectations for my days are too high. Today I had low expectations and it turned out great and happy. Days that I try too hard are harder on everyone. And perhaps Ana just needs to hear "yes" a little more often."
(making s'mores)
I thought about that today. I thought about how frustrated I am when I hear "no" (or no response at all) and I thought about how I would feel if I was being bossed around and told "no" all the time. Suddenly, I can see why she is uncooperative. I probably would be too.
*In Relief Society today, we watched President Uchtdorf's "Forget-Me-Not" address. It is an excellent talk, and I never get tired of hearing it. I thought about how often we hear the same things over and over at church: Read scriptures, say prayers, go to the church, go to the Temple, pay tithing, be kind, etc. It is all the same. And yet, I need the reminder. I don't always say my prayers or read my scriptures. I'm not always kind to those around me. And I am always reminded. It helps to be told things over and over.
Just as I hope God is patient with me, I hope I can be more patient with my children. After all, we aren't really that different.
4 comments:
Such great insights. I really struggle with my 4-year old lately, and you have given me some things to think about. Thanks!
ah such a smart Mom you are! I don't know if you've ever read Parenting with Love and Logic, but I love it! It's all about giving kids as much freedom as you can. Letting them learn from their own mistakes. Setting good solid boundaries. I'd highly recommend it!
Sometimes I wonder if we need our children more than they need us. Yes, they need us to take care of their physical, emotional, and spiritual well-being... but so often I find that being a mother stretches us as women in ways that we NEED to be stretched, in order to grow, that we otherwise might not be. Being a mom is hard. Sometimes frustrating. But I think that if we are doing our best, and really trying to press ahead and become better and raise our children right, the Lord will have mercy (and patience) with us.
Okay that making smores thing is adorable-your thankful tree was so cute-taking your children to the museum all in one day I think you are AMAZING!!!
As for NO I need to work on that as well I go to bed every night praying my children will forgive me for all the things I messed up on that day. Glad we get to start each day with a fresh slate& just keep on trying.
Post a Comment