Sunday, January 8, 2012

new year snapshot #4: me


Quite frankly, I am a mess.

I realized it a few weeks ago and mostly have been noticing things that support it. I can't keep up on housework (though that is nothing new). I rarely fix my hair. I am usually running late. I drop things, spend too much time on the computer, and am super forgetful. In a culminating moment of my mess-ness, I found myself at church with a baby who exploded out her diaper, and me without any clean diapers or extra clothes for her. (Luckily, there were extra diapers in the mother's lounge and then I ran home to get her clothes.)

Surprisingly, this reality has not depressed me. Actually, the opposite is true. It was liberating. For the first time in a long time I really saw myself, and I was okay with it.

But if I am going to be a mess, I want to be a happy mess. Too often I find myself annoyed, frustrated, and short-tempered. This just will not do. I'd rather be known as a happy person than a got-it-all-together person.

As part of my New Year's resolutions this year, I want to spend my energy being happier. Which is why my sisters and I have started our own happiness project, based on this book. I do have a few other resolutions as well. (Because quite frankly, I'd like to be slightly less of a mess by 2013.)

So far, I feel like I'm off to a good start. This last week I have felt a lot happier. So though my house is still a mess, and I was still late for church this morning, I think 2012 will be a good year.

5 comments:

Kerstin said...

I'm wondering if the "too much time on the computer" has anything to do with being a mess. I don't judge you without knowing you personally, it's my own experience. I spent way too much time on the computer and I suspect that it leads towards ADHD (so it's not based on scientific analysis), because you spend so much time skipping from one page to the other, constantly interrupting your thoughts and concentration on one thing.

Kristine said...

I just want to tell you how much I enjoy reading your blog. You have great insights, especially about motherhood and I'm always uplifted when I read. Thanks for sharing!

Kerstin said...

Just telling you to avoid any confusion - I enjoy reading your blog.

Erin L said...

I always welcome new readers! Do we know each other?

Kerstin said...

Not that I know of. I'm German and I live in Germany. I found your blog through clicking from one blog to another. See - it's ADHD.