Sunday, January 29, 2012

party planner

A couple Saturdays ago Ana asked me if she could have a "rainbow party."

I said "sure."

You would have thought I had handed her the moon. She took over in planning.

"Okay, Mom. I want to have a rainbow cake and fruit. We are going to eat ... strawberries, oranges, bananas, green grapes, no, green apples, blueberries and grapes."

At one point, she had visions of rainbow colored snowflakes hanging from the ceiling and many other things that didn't come to fruition, but she was still satisfied with the outcome. After much deliberation, she decided for a game they were going to play "pin the body part on the rainbow snowman."

Last Saturday she had a few friends over for the grand event. She took charge, and it seemed like everyone had a great time.




It was really fun for me to watch her plans unfold. Even though the party was simpler than she had initially envisioned, she had a great time, and I loved seeing her feeling of empowerment in the planning.

Ana has always been full of big ideas and most of the time they mean a lot of work for me. But it was fun to just say "yes" and to help her accomplish it. Her passion and enthusiasm is contagious and I found myself getting excited for her party, too.

I love that little girl.

2 comments:

ChazHale said...

How refreshing! What an awesome testimony of "parenting". God bless you and your family!

Keri said...

Good for you! Sydney has often planned events only for me to tell her no. I need to take a lesson from you.