I've always been a "writer." I'm not saying I am a talented writer, but I've always loved writing.
I filled 15 journals before Dave and I were married. My first book, "The Train without a Track" I wrote when I was ... well, younger than 9. (I don't remember exactly when, but it was before the family moved to Idaho). My dad typed it up for me. I illustrated it. And we put it in a binding. I still have it. It is by no means an eloquent or even consistent book, but I like the memory of it. I also have pages and pages of a "cheesy church novel" that I started writing in my tween years about twins named Vicki and Nicki. I wrote the first few chapters and marked them all up with edits. I still have them tucked away in a folder.
That's part of the reason why I like blogging so much. I love writing my thoughts and experiences. And I love that our families can "see" our family grow from far away.
Spending a week offline really got me thinking about priorities. I make writing here a priority because I like it. It is for me most of all.
Admittingly, I was amazed at how much I got done while offline. I got all my laundry washed, dried, folded and put away in 2 days. My dishes are done. My living room (mostly) straightened up. And I read to the kids, played several rounds of Ice Cream Scoops of Fun, taught Jack's preschool, made dinner for a friend one night, remembered important phone calls, smiled and laughed at the funny things Jack says, enjoyed Ana's hosting her first "just for fun" party, and so much more. I did feel a little out of the loop and I missed a few important messages, but really, I didn't miss much.
Life is simpler when we focus on what matters most. And though I don't feel the need to turn off my computer indefinitely, I can see where I can cut back. I like to keep things simple.
1 comment:
Erin, I love your writing, and it's not because of any peculiar grandiosity in your manner of expression, but rather because of the quality of thoughts you express. I do find you a talented writer, but even more, I believe you are a wonderful thinker. I want to be more like you.
Post a Comment