Sunday, April 22, 2012

breakthrough

For some reason when we moved here almost 2 years ago, Jack refused to swing. I'm not sure how this began. I have a picture of him swinging in Grandma's swing right before we moved, but since living here he has refused.  We've tried to get him to swing here and there, but it usually resulted in screams and running away.

 Slowly, over the last several months, he has been warmed up to the idea. Last fall he started swing - very slowly - on his tummy. This was all his idea, by the way. Everything has to be his idea if he is to cooperate. Since then I've asked several times if he wanted to swing on my lap or in the baby swing or if he just wanted to sit on the swing. The answer was always an emphatic "NO!" But the other day we were outside at the playground. Ana was swinging. Pumping high and loving it. Katie was swinging. And there was Jack, trying to SIT on the swing. I asked him very calmly if he wanted me to help him up. And he said, "yes." And then I asked if he wanted a little push. And he said "Yes."


 He was swinging! Ana and I praised him and clapped for him. Told him what a big boy he is. We took his picture. He said he wants it framed in his bedroom. Such a little thing, but it was wonderful to see him. He said to Daddy later, "I was really brave."

No comments: