Thursday, October 23, 2008

A wrinkle in my face

In case you couldn't tell, the title to this post is supposed to be read like an indignant 15 year old who didn't like the book A Wrinkle in Time. Or maybe it could be read like Napoleon and Kip when they are arguing about time travel. Yeah, that's good - especially considering the subject matter of the book.



So, I just read it. I think I had my expectations a little high. You know, like when that Godzilla movie came out in the late 90's and it was all hyped up then no one liked it. I had a friend when I worked at Melaleuca who said this book was his FAVORITE book he had ever read. He was something like 23 years old at the time. So, when I was looking for a book to read the other day I chose it. It wasn't a waste of time but for some reason I didn't feel good about it after reading the end. It seemed like there was a lot left unsaid and I don't think the sequels are going to fix that.

I know there are a lot of people who like it. I am really not one of them. Wierd, I don't think I have ever said that about a book before. I think it will be a while before I read another book for younger readers.

Am I wrong? Do you love that book? Do you hate it? Have you ever heard of it or read it? If so, please tell me how wrong or right I am. Mostly tell me how right I am. I like that.

6 comments:

Kara said...

I'd say you're right, from what I remember... I don't remember learning anything or feeling like it was even good story.. I've never had the desire to read it again- I was only in 6th grade though, so maybe i should read it again. But based on my memory alone, I agree with you, and i don't know why it's such a "classic" or whatever. (:

Erin L said...

I liked it, but its not in my top 10 favorite books. It was a little all over the place. But I liked the message.

Leanne said...

Once I sat down and thought about all the books I read growing up and how they became a part of who I am. This book "A Wrinkle in Time" really impressed my young (at the time) mind about focusing on love and goodness and not being overcome by evil. I still remember the constant bombardment of that steady beat in that place where she rescues her Dad - how hard that was for her but how she was able to find a corner in her heart that wasn't affected by the world she was in. And I loved that she was unique and brave even though she was young and immature. When I was young I really loved that some of the characters were very different from the 'ordinary' kids at school, but that they had each other in their family and that helped them be okay with who they were. Its been a long time since I read it, but I think it had a positive impact on me growing up and was probably one of those books that left me with stronger moral convictions. It also helped me have the belief that somehow good will always prevail and that's a nice thing to get in your heart at a young age.

Leanne said...

sorry that was so long.

Terri said...

Not my favorite either, but I loved "A Swiftly Tilting Planet"- one of her other books. You should maybe try it before you give up on her all together. Have you tried the Leven Thumps books? Also for young readers but totally original - which is hard to come by and a real blast to read. Hokan and Sarah and I all love them and that is unusual.

Karianne said...

You are crazy. This is one of my favorite children's literature books. I agree with Leanne's comments. I also read it when I was younger, so that helps my initial response, but I've read it at least three times.