Monday, September 20, 2010

differences

We are really loving it here. In a lot of ways, life for me is just like it was back in Idaho. We play with friends, go to the store, and find fun things to do. But there are some things that are different here. Most of them are pretty non-consequential, but it still takes some getting used to.

*When Dave and I were in West Virginia a month ago, we commented about how forested the hills are here in the East. It seemed to us that you could just get lost in about two seconds hiking up in those hills. Then Dave's parents took us for a drive in those hills. I was floored. There was a TOWN up there. I mean, hundreds of houses, stores, banks, etc. It is the same here. You see forested areas with main roads coming out of it with neighborhoods and businesses hidden unseen from the main roads. Crazy stuff!

*There are a lot of farms around. I love that! I think it was about Ohio when I realized: there are no sprinkler systems in the fields. No wheel lines, no pipes. Our grass stayed green all summer without a sprinkler system. Idaho really is the desert.

*There is a Lowe's just down the street from us. It is very convenient and we shop there often. The strange thing is, there are usually only a couple trucks in the parking lot. Most of the cars are subarus and cross-overs, but very few trucks. That is the case all over town. Crossovers are everywhere. And its very rare to see a Suburban.

*Kids are a novelty in this town. Really. I don't usually see many other moms with children out and about. Interestingly enough, I rarely go to the store without someone noticing me and m y children - either by a wave and smile to them or a comment to me. Maybe that's why there aren't many Suburbans...

*Dave went into a bike shop to buy slime to put inside my tires. You know, because I got flat tires a lot driving through puncture weeds/"stickers." When Dave asked the attendant about puncture weeds he got a blank stare. They are not here. Even in the bike shop, he found one small bottle of the stuff that is sold by the gallons out west.

Like I said, inconsequential, but still interesting.

4 comments:

Shaela said...

Very interesting. I have always marveled at the beauty back East... I've always wanted to live there for that reason. :)

Emily said...

I totally understand that feeling. Also little things like, they don't really have anything in bulk. They have dog parks but not so many kid parks. And of course....no fry sauce...which in my book is of great consequence. Also, you totally owe me a letter, but I would happily write you first! I miss your letters. What's your address? Mine is the same as last year. Love you so much! I can't wait to come play with you in Vermont! Hopefully sometime soon!

Terina said...

I remember that about CT. The winter came, the leaves fell off all the tress and there were houses everywhere! Even a purple one, I had never seen!

Amy said...

You don't live by us. BIG difference. One that I don't like very much. :(