Tuesday, September 20, 2011

something i've been thinking about

Every once in a while, when I'm standing or sitting on something that makes me the same height as Dave is, (6'5"), I take a look around. I remember the first time I did that and realized, "Whoa, this is how my husband sees the world." Everything looks different from up there. Everything looks tiny.

I thought about that this week after I spent an hour (or more) talking to my sister, recounting our childhood. You'd never know that we spent time in the same house. Such different perspectives of the same thing. And I realized that I am either:

a) blissfully unaware of what is going on around me

or

b) too self absorbed to notice.

Maybe a little of both. I mean, I've had it easy. I've always had good friends. I'm married to an amazing man. I haven't experienced tragedy or great trials. I have 3 healthy, happy children. Life is good. I am happy.

But I imagine God doesn't want me to sit around thinking "all is well." I imagine he wants me to look around and find others to serve. That's hard to do when I am only concerned with what my world looks like. Sometimes it takes trying to see things from another's perspective. Perhaps something that is tiny to me looks a lot bigger to another person.

God has given me so much."Unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required." Often he requires we pass through trials. And sometimes he requires us to help others pass through theirs.

I don't really know where I'm going with this. I don't really know where to start. But I've been thinking about it. Things look different from here.

1 comment:

Kara said...

I share your thoughts once again. Although you've had things that to me seem hard. I suppose some things I've experienced could seem hard to others.. We're all just going along trying to do our best I suppose. Also, Why do you live so far away? I need a running buddy!