Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Golden Compass

So, I am not much of a movie critic. Most of the time I come away from a movie thinking at least "I guess it was alright." Tonight we watched TGC for the first time and I did not think that.

After 45 minutes I was seriously tempted to turn it off - if you know me that's saying something. I always have to finish a movie. There were about 1,000,000 bits of information that seemed useless to the story and they were not coming together. The end started to come together a little bit but it was THE END. Basically, the whole thing felt kind of choppy and there were these crazy things going on with absolutely no framework for it all to fall into.

Am I crazy? No. I am interested to hear what you thought of this movie if you saw it.

5 comments:

Karianne said...

I haven't seen the movie, but I read to book, and I told Erin not to read it. Pretty good adventure story with so much wierdness that it was creepy. I'm sorry you wasted your time. Next time, watch Stardust. You'll like it.

Scott said...

I saw this movie and I thought it was lame. Everything you said about it is true. I heard the book is good, though, even if Scouting Magazine claims it goes contrary to the Scout Oath.

Dave L said...

Scott - I am impressed that you are so up to date with Scouting Magazine.

I think I will watch the trailer for Stardust right now...

Leanne said...

I also vote for Stardust. I did some research on the Golden Compass including a couple of interviews with the author and there is a reason the books (and movie) were wierd. I decided not to waste my time on reading them although I did go to the moview because it was on at the summer cheap show. Yea, about worth a dollar :-)

Kendall said...

I did not like the golden compass