The other day I realized something, and it came in 2 parts. The first was a dream I had the other day that our "landlords" (a.k.a. Dave's brother and his wife) told me my bathroom was too messy, and I needed to keep it cleaner. (Not that they would ever do that - its not that bad.) I woke up feeling all awkward about it and realized that if I am so paranoid at what other people think of my homemaking skills, I needed to do something about it.
So that day I looked around and took notice of what made my home look messy. And I was surprised to find that it wasn't Ana's toys that caused the problem..... It was my mess. I was the one who was getting stuff out and not putting it back away. Dave was by no means off the hook either. We were the problem.
So we came up with a game/competition to help our little problem. It is day 1 of that game, and I have to admit, its an adjustment. It sounds so easy to simply put things away when you get it out, but its a habit that is hard to get into. I am becoming much more aware of it, though, and I think its the beginning of some better housekeeping on my part. Usually by this time of day, my living room is beginning to show the activities of the day, but surprisingly it has stayed much more orderly (with the exception of a few toys on the floor). Its a good feeling.
Now I wanted to add a few pictures of Jack, since its been a while and he's getting so big!
Playing with Ana:
Playing with Ana again:
He found a piece of chocolate that somehow was left in his reach, and wasn't discovered until it was too late:
4 comments:
my favorite "mommy" quote: Cleaning your house before the kids grow up is like shoveling the driveway before it stops snowing. :) good luck changing habits. John is very good about picking up after himself, but I'm not - I do lots better now though. so really, it IS the kids that make our mess!! :)
I figured out that part of the reason I don't put my own things away is that I get interrupted about 12 times in the middle of whatever I am doing (it's part of being a mom) and I always think I will take care of this or that interruption and then return to what I was doing. Only half the time I never get back to it, so there sits the thing I was doing looking like a mess instead of the important thing it really is :-)
I love reading your blog! You are just so honest and real. I totally relate about the clean house thing. Justin and I have come up with numerous "games" to keep things clean. I like to think we are getting better...
to answer your question about when I find time to craft: I don't sleep! lol. I "play" after the kids go to bed. Lina goes down at 7pm, and Caleb at 8pm, but he's old enough that I can pull stuff out while he's still up. I then stay up till 10 or 11 or so usually. Then up at 7am to be a mommy/housewife again. John is good about giving me a few hours on the weekend, too. Crafting is my #1 choice during any of "my" time, and John's is cycling. Just how I choose to spend my kid-free moments. :)
Post a Comment