Thursday, September 10, 2009

President Obama's 9-9-9 speech

I just read the text of the president's speech on health care he gave today. HERE is a link to it directly from the white house website. I chose to read instead of watch - except for the part where he was interrupted by someone in the audience. I am not a fan of actually watching speeches that are constantly interrupted by lots of applause. I just want to hear the speech.

Anyway, I read the whole thing and I am glad I took the time. It was good to get straightforward information on what the president is really trying to accomplish whether you agree with it all or not. I encourage you to dedicate some time and read it. I really would like to know what you think of it.

Here are some quotes that caught my attention:

"And that's why under my plan, individuals will be required to carry basic health insurance -- just as most states require you to carry auto insurance."

"And insurance companies will be required to cover, with no extra charge, routine checkups and preventive care, like mammograms and colonoscopies -- (applause) -- because there's no reason we shouldn't be catching diseases like breast cancer and colon cancer before they get worse. That makes sense, it saves money, and it saves lives. (Applause.)"

"We'll do this by creating a new insurance exchange -- a marketplace where individuals and small businesses will be able to shop for health insurance at competitive prices. This is how large companies and government employees get affordable insurance. It's how everyone in this Congress gets affordable insurance. And it's time to give every American the same opportunity that we give ourselves."

"Despite all this, the insurance companies and their allies don't like this idea. They argue that these private companies can't fairly compete with the government. And they'd be right if taxpayers were subsidizing this public insurance option. But they won't be. I've insisted that like any private insurance company, the public insurance option would have to be self-sufficient and rely on the premiums it collects. But by avoiding some of the overhead that gets eaten up at private companies by profits and excessive administrative costs and executive salaries, it could provide a good deal for consumers, and would also keep pressure on private insurers to keep their policies affordable and treat their customers better, the same way public colleges and universities provide additional choice and competition to students without in any way inhibiting a vibrant system of private colleges and universities."

"Others have proposed a co-op or another non-profit entity to administer the plan. These are all constructive ideas worth exploring. But I will not back down on the basic principle that if Americans can't find affordable coverage, we will provide you with a choice."

"Now, I don't believe malpractice reform is a silver bullet, but I've talked to enough doctors to know that defensive medicine may be contributing to unnecessary costs."

"Reducing the waste and inefficiency in Medicare and Medicaid will pay for most of this plan. (Applause.) Now, much of the rest would be paid for with revenues from the very same drug and insurance companies that stand to benefit from tens of millions of new customers."

Here is that clip of him getting interrupted - crazy

1 comment:

L Anne Tanner said...

Obama is the master of telling people what they want to hear, yet doing what he wants regardless of what he says. He has a silver tongue and has mastered the art of practicing guile without actually lying. I believe the representative who called Obama a liar may know more than we do, and quite possibly have read more of the 'book' that contains the rules for the new health care program. I commend you for reading the talk for yourself - I like to look to the source too, and see what Obama says rather than just read responses to it. That's why I read his book "The Audacity of Hope" that book really scared me. I have it if you want to borrow it.