I don't want to talk about my political views. Or yours even. Let's keep our personal views out of this.
I know lots of really good people. They are educated and well-informed. They read the news, vote and are good citizens. They obey the law, make good choices, take care of their families and really want what is best for the country. And their political views fall all over the political spectrum from the right to the left, liberal to conservative and everywhere in between.
How can this be? Who is right and who is wrong? Is there truth and falsehood in all of this political madness or is it all right and wrong at the same time?
Discuss..
3 comments:
"During this time of great excitement my mind was called up to serious reflection and great uneasiness; but though my feelings were deep and often poignant, still I kept myself aloof from all these parties... My mind at times was greatly excited, the cry and tumult were so great and incessant... In the midst of this war of words and tumult of opinions, I often said to myself: What is to be done? Who of all these parties are right; or, are they all wrong together? If any one of them be right, which is it, and how shall I know it?" (JSH 1:8-10)
The only sure place to find truth in this world is from God. I do not consider myself of any particular political party; instead, I base my opinions and vote on those matters that go hand in hand with God's will. I read, I pray, I hope... but I know that there will never be perfect politics as long as men are leading us, because men are imperfect. But the Lord has blessed each of us with divine gifts and attributes that can help us as we search for truth in this imprfect world.
Well, my thought is this. If you will recall, every time there is a large election, the church puts out a letter reminding people of their political neutrality and stating that values consistent with the gospel of Jesus Christ can be found in a variety of political parties.
There's not one right way to live the gospel and there's not one right way to govern. I believe there is a framework for both, but within that framework, there is much room for discussion and debate and difference of opinion.
I think a lot of it too ties back to agency. There are some things that are right and some that are wrong, but there are a lot of issues that you have to say "okay, I may believe that this is wrong, but to what extent should we/government limit people's ability to exercise their agency?" And people differ in their opinions of where the line should or should not be drawn. I know that is one thing that distinguishes some of my friends and I in our political opinions/parties. Yet I don't necessarily think they are wrong, per se. It's just different opinions based on life's circumstances.
We each have our personal beliefs and should vote in accordance with those.
Part of me thinks that the Lord doesn't so much care who is in charge because ultimately He is in charge and knows the beginning from the end and good things and bad things will happen, regardless of which "side" is in power.
i don't know what the answers are to the problems, but i do know that all sides have good things to offer, and shari said it perfectly...i totally agree. we forget sometimes that there are lots of ways to be good mormons and also lots of ways to be good americans. and there are so many factors at work that it would be impossible for a government to be the perfect government for everyone.
Post a Comment