I like books.
I am so grateful for parents who read to me, with me, and encouraged me to read on my own. I remember my mom reading "The Wheels on the School" to me before bed when I was little. Books were always available in our house. We had big bookshelves overflowing with books (and I'm sure more boxes of them somewhere else) We were always given books for Christmas. One Christmas season (when we were all teenagers and young adults) we spent an afternoon reading "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever" and when the power went out half way through we finished it by candle light. I'm sure we were all in tears at the end. Whenever we were bored, my mom always said, "go read a book." So now when I'm bored, I want to read a book, and I always have a book that I am reading.
Some of my favorite times with my kids are when they are up on my lap and I'm reading to them. (As long as its not "Dora and the Crystal Kingdom" that we got from the library because that book is dumb.) Or when Ana "reads" a book to Jack when they are going to sleep. So precious.
Its even more wonderful to get to share a good book with other people.
Tonight I went to a book club with a bunch of church ladies. I love it! We laugh, we cry (a little), we discuss things of great importance and no importance at all. We share ideas and feelings and stories and memories. What better way to get to know people than through a book.
So tell me, what is your favorite book? What is your favorite child's book?
4 comments:
I love books too. I have ALWAYS loved books. My mom taught me to read when I was 4 years old because she couldn't spend enough time reading to me! Ever since then I have loved to read and write. I have read many of the great classics, but my heart lies in "easier reads"... meaning ones I can read without a dictionary and without getting a headache, lol. I like to read for enjoyment or spirituality. I love church books. I LOVE historical fictions. I love series more than anything. The Kingdom and the Crown, Anne of Green Gables, the Redwall books (<--these are some of my all-time faves!) and some oldie-but-goodies: The Witch of Blackbird Pond, The Secret Garden, Julie of the Wolves, The Gammage Cup... I have 3 bookshelves full of books and boxes still to be put away. My books are my friends. I love them and read them so often they fall apart. John laughs at me because he catches me reading the same few over and over, and I love them every time. I love all of Jane Austen's but Persuasion is my favorite. I could honestly go on and on and on... I just love books!
I could never come up with one favorite, but I recently discovered the Wizard of Oz again. There is a whole series and I LOVED them as a child. I also loved My Antonia and Holes and Personality Plus. And about 100 other books. I find it very cool that I can now trace some of who I am to the books I have read, especially the ones that impacted me as a youth. OH, and I liked the Great Divorce (not what you think it is) and reading books with you and my sisters. :-)
I love all the Little House books and do not count them as children's books. I have read them over and over since I was five, and my favorite thing about them is the way they have taught me the value of working hard and also how to appreciate what I have.
My favorite children's book? Golly, that's tough. I adore Junie B. Jones and Curious George and Madeleine---Madeline?---Madeleine...I love Shel Silverstein and Dr. Seuss and Mother Goose.
I found the 3 Billy Goats Gruff at the library this week and it brought a wave of nostalgia. I love it! I also remember hiding The Very Hungry Caterpillar from the other kids in kindergarten. Some of my top pics are The Scarlett Pimpernell (Which you inspired me to read) The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom, Uncle Tom's Cabin, Gone with the Wind (just finished it!) The Kingdom and the Crown series. Aahh, the escape of a book! I think I'll go open one right now!
Post a Comment