Today I was sitting at the breakfast table eating "mush" (cream of wheat) with the kids. They were talking and laughing and again I had one of those "is this really my life?" moments.
"Holy cow, I am a mom to these little kids," I said to myself. I still feel like the same flirty, airhead-ed, dramatic 17-year-old.
The last few months have stretched me as a mother. Ana has been challenging - testing her boundaries and what not. Most days bedtime cannot come soon enough.
But then a few weeks ago a friend of me told me something that I haven't been able to forget. She told me that she was told by someone in our ward (I don't know who) that Dave and I are good examples of being patient parents.
I was floored. Me, patient. Yeah, right. Dave, totally is, but most days I feel anything but patient.
But its funny - after hearing that simple comment, suddenly it is so much easier to be patient.
Like yesterday, I was trying to get Ana to clean her room. (Usually quite the battle...) When I started feeling impatient with her lack of obedience, I remembered to be what other people already think I am. So I took a deep breath and remained calm. After a few more minutes, she was being much more cooperative.
Provers 15:1 says "a soft answer turneth away wrath." One thing my sister told me once is that more often than not, answering in a soft manner doesn't make her children any less upset, but it keeps her calm. I've thought about that a lot.
A mom that I really look up to - someone who is gracious and soft spoken and kind - once said that she was a yell-er when her older children were young.
I think there is hope for me yet.
5 comments:
Thanks for this post. :) I keep praying that there is hope for me and my kids, too.
There is definitely hope. I struggle with patience everyday, but it is such an important goal. Something I hope to accomplish is that when my life on this earth comes to an end and people look back and remember me, that somebody will recall me as the most patient woman they ever knew. And that when they say that, it will be true. I have a long way to go. But I pray and I try every day, and I agree with your sister and the scriptures that when I speak with gentleness and kindness, I stay more calm and have far more patience. And more often than not, it helps to settle my kids and keep them calm as well.
Oh, there most certainly IS hope for you!! You are a wonderful mom. Don't you love hearing something positive? I have had the same experience as you...being told I'm such a patient mom and then trying harder to live up to that. It's helpful, isn't it?
Oh Mush, it is a current favorite breakfast right now. I think Kevin would eat it every meal if I'd let him. I'm on a mission to redirect my parenting, it is hard. I must agree with the, 'talking in a calm voice' helps me stay calm. You're awesome. Love reading your blog and seeing those cute faces!
Oh Erin, you're the perfect little mommy and I love all your posts. It always gives me fun things to look forward to. Ok, maybe some not so fun, but preparation anyway, right? Have you guys got more things lined up for school? Its crazy that its getting so close! I can't believe we're moving in less than two months!! Your kids are little cuties and so are you! PS--loved the little comment about having one of those real-life moments... I have those all the time. (Of course, I don't really have the flashback to the flirty 17 year old, but I definatly remember the me being air-headed part! :) Its so crazy to remember what life was like back before marriage. Those were sure fun days, but I'm glad life just keeps getting better! Love ya!
Post a Comment