Wednesday, June 2, 2010

day #1

Subtitle: I may have picked the wrong week to start this

Ana was crabby today. Surprisingly, she didn't ask me to all day to watch TV. She just followed me around whining. Or asking to eat a marshmallow. Or saying she was bored. Or running outside in her panties.

I am exhausted.

The day started fine, but I didn't feel very well, and by 4 o'clock, I was ready to lay down for a nap. Or just go to bed for the night.

*Question*
Is it really beneficial going without TV if I am crabby with my kids in its place?


You don't have to answer that.

I did get a lot accomplished. I am amazed at how often I sit at the computer "just for a minute" throughout the day. All day I thought, "I'll just go look this up really quick..." and then stopped myself.

I think it will be good for us. Ana really does not play by herself. Ever. Ever. So, that is my problem. How do I teach her to entertain herself for 10 minutes while I shower? (I didn't shower today.)

Anyway, I am sticking this out. I am determined. Dave took the kids tonight while I did Relief Society visits and now I'm home and he isn't. The quiet is wonderful.

*A question my sister asked when I told her this idea*
Are you punishing yourself?


I am beginning to wonder.

But I am optimistic that over the next few days it will improve. Tomorrow we will go to the park. That will be good for us, I think.

4 comments:

Shaela said...

Since you're allowing comments on this post I'm giving you my opinion whether you want it or not, haha. First of all, KUDOS to you for trying this in the first place. I hope the week will get better and easier for you and at the end you will say "This was a good thing". :)

Now here is my answer to your question that you told us not to answer (hehehe). No, it's not worth it. Let me rephrase: to ME, it's not worth it. John and I "argue" about this a lot. He takes the kids for 3 hours and at the end, the kids are crying, he's angry and frustrated, and no one is happy because he refused to let them watch a movie. When I am at my wits end, or when I NEED to get dinner on the table or HAVE to shower since it's already been 3 days without one, I put on a show. And I don't feel guilty. I tell John that whatever "damage" Dora inflicts upon their brains is far less than the damage of having a parent who yells and screams at them and slams things around. I know from my own childhood experience, and I WILL NOT BE THAT PARENT.

I have fallen into a rut of being a literal stay-at-home-mom. We just hang around the house all day and we're all going crazy from it. Tomorrow I'm getting out. We're going to go to the park too. Hopefully you and I and our kids all benefit from the outing. I'm sure we will. :)

Karianne said...

The crabbiness on both sides comes from the tv detox. I've done this before, so let me assure you that by day 2 or 3 you will both be doing better. Don't give in just because you are crabby and need a break. You know that this is important. Just try hard to be patient and not crabby. Also, you probably will have to re-teach Ana to play by herself. My favorite parenting book suggests this approach: Start an activity with her, then after a few minutes walk away. Tell her where you are going and that you'll be right back to check on her. When you come back (one or two minutes later, but not longer), don't say anything. If she is still on task, just gently touch her head or shoulder. If she looks up, just smile. The idea is that talking actually interupts the child, but touching gives positive reinforcement for behavior without distracting them from the task. Do this throughout the day whenever you see her doing something you like. Wow, I just reminded myself how much this works. I am going to try it today.
Another suggestion is that on the valuesparenting website, they have a guidebook for Joyschool. I know that sounds random, but in it is a bunch of fun activities for kids that I hadn't thought of before. It might be worth checking out. Sorry for the novel that you won't get until tonight. Love you and good luck!

Leisa said...

Sometime TV is a lifesaver. And who needs to shower anyway? And YOU"RE TO HARD ON YOURSELF. You don't have to be perfect for your family you just need to be there for your family and you are totally there!

Anonymous said...

Are you going cold turkey or limiting your time on TV? It's hard to go completely cold turkey and I think very rewarding to limit TV and other things. For example, my new rule is Gmail 3 times a day, not get rid of it all together. It's a great balance, I think.