Friday, June 11, 2010

hair heartbreak

You know how my daughter has beautiful, long hair that I just love?

You know how I haven't ever cut it (more than a trim) because no other little girl has hair so long and shiny as Ana?

Yesterday that long, beautiful hair got caught in the wheels of a toy car. (One of those toy cars that you pull back and then they go forward on their own.) It was stuck for good.

We had to cut it out. Which means I had to cut the rest.

My heart broke. I may have cried.

I know, I know. Its cute. It'll grow. She's still the same little girl. (almost.) It'll be easier to comb now. etc. etc. But I had a love affair with that hair that now is tragically ended. ...sigh...

Ana, however, is thrilled. (Which I think makes it harder for me.) She has been asking for short hair for a long time. Every time she was around a friend with short hair, she would ask me to cut it. Some of her exclamations of joy:

"Now we have matching hair, Mom!"

"Is your heart full of joy? I am so happy."

"I want to show Anya, and Shari and Jamie, and Rylee and Jairus..."

"I want to show everyone in the world my new haircut! Let's Go, Mom."




On an unrelated note, this morning at breakfast she asked, "Mom, what if we never had bubblegum. Would we die?"

Yeah, she's still the same girl. :)

7 comments:

Kelli said...

She looks so much more grown up! Very cute. I know how painful it is, though. You always had really long hair, too, when you were three or four, and I was always putting it up in buns for church. Paisley was sitting on my lap while I read your last few posts. She saw the pictures of Jack and said, "Jack, Jack, at our house?" We are going to miss you guys when you are far away!

The Gray Gang said...

It is adorable! She looks so old though.

Alisha Wilkins said...

It may have made you cry, but it is soooooo cute! It does make her look older though :)

Shaela said...

Awww, she's so cute! But I know what you mean - my heart broke a tiny bit when Lina had her hair cut when she was 2, and for the 2 years that followed where we kept it short.

My dad didn't let me cut my hair until I was 12 years old. My hair was just past my waist at that point. So I had it cut to my shoulders... and then left it alone, haha. It was well past my waist when I graduated and went on to college, but by Christmas break I was sick of it. I cut it short... and it's never been long since, haha. In fact, right now my hair is the longest it has been since then, and it's not even touching my shoulders, haha!! Lina and I are both growing our hair out now - hopefully we can make it past the shaggy stage and make it to the beautiful stage, lol. :)

Unknown said...

My goodness, that looks adorable!! It makes her look older!! I understand your heartbreak, though.

Amy said...

Love the bubblegum comment. :)

A said...

I understand your love affair. I mourned Charlize's long perfect ringlest that got cut off by McCoy for about a year. I was always reminded every time I went to do her hair and poor Danny had to hear about it since he was the one in charge when it happened.