Thursday, August 12, 2010

reflections on summer 2010

I am a summer lover. Family reunions, summer picnics, spending hours outside at pools and parks, bbqs - the list goes on. Each year as summer draws to a close and cooler days loom before, I feel a sense of sadness and longing for more.

This year, however, all I feel is indifferent.

Maybe its because I'm really looking forward to Fall in Vermont: apple picking, leaves changing and, most awesomely, a visit from my rad sister, Shari.

Maybe its because this summer has been so --- not summer-ish. June was cold and rainy, and brought some sad business with it. July was just starting to warm up when appendicitis laid me out for our last real week in Idaho. We moved and missed my family reunion. Now suddenly, its (a somewhat rainy) August, Dave is in school, and life is back to normal.

In some ways I feel cheated. But mostly I feel excited to see what the future holds for us in Vermont. And I really am looking forward to fall.

Yesterday was nice and hot so we went to the beach with some of our friends. Good times were had by all. Though the lack of a nap threw Jack into a full-blown, cried-so-hard-he-puked-on-my-newly-reupholstered-couch, temper tantrum at bedtime.

The beach was still worth it. I really do love summer!





5 comments:

Shaela said...

come to Vegas - I'll share some heat with ya!! ;) I am totally jealous that you get to experience a New England Autumn, though. Please take lots of pictures and post all about your fun adventures so I can experience it with you!! :)

Alisha Wilkins said...

So jealous that you are so close to a beach! And sorry about the temper tantrum incident on your couch! You need to take/post pics of your couch...I want to see the awesome-ness! ;)

Karianne said...

Beach! Fun! I am also wishing I could be there for Autumn in New England. Ditto on taking lots of pictures. Sorry you haven't gotten much of summer. I think I have gotten enough to share. It hasn't been too hot here though, which is nice. We miss you. I love the beach pics and the farm pics. I want a farm. I'll call you to chat sometime soon.

L Anne Tanner said...

Where do you go to the beach? Is it the ocean, a lake? Looks like fun. I heard Vermont is the safest state in the nation. That's cool!

Fisher Family said...

Reading all about how beautiful it is there this time of year has made me a little homesick for the east! I was only there 10 short months but I believe it is one of the most beautiful places. It seems like you are adjusting well and good luck with the sleeping thing. I haven't had any problems with that.....yet!