Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Cloverfield

Yep.

Erin and I went out to see Cloverfield while we were in Rupert over the long weekend with free babysitters and all.

It seemed pretty short when it was over but that was ok. It was actually kind of nice to get back home in pretty good time. On the way out of the theatre, the manager asked us if we loved it or hated it. I guess it is pretty polarizing like that. We heard one guy behind us grumble something like "I can't believe I paid money for that" as he was leaving. I didn't think that.

At first the camera was really unsteady, and it kind of annoyed me, but I either got used to it or it became less shaky as time went on. It focused on a small group of people instead of focusing on the crazy monster. On the way home I commented to Erin on how I liked the absence of the moment when the scientist explains to the president where the monster came from and that it has laid 50 million eggs in a basketball arena - you get the idea. I really liked how real, or true to life, this felt focusing on this group of people.*

I thought this movie looked cool a while ago when Dylan posted about it, but then I forgot all about it until recently when another friend recommended it. We didn't really know what to expect and maybe that's part of why we liked it.

Overall, it was pretty different and I liked it.


*(I know monsters don't really exist)

No comments: