Monday, March 3, 2008

Inspiration

Dave and I were driving home last night after being in Boise for the weekend. Ana was sleeping, and we had a great conversation. (Don't those seem few and far between once kids start coming?) We started talking about what inspires/encourages us to do better and to be better. Its so interesting how different things affect us. I am really revitalized by hearing other's words and seeing them succeed at the same things that I am trying to do. I am a pretty enthusiastic, energetic person, but I need to see/hear/feel some sort of motivation every so often to refill my tank. I love to hear and see things that make me think, "I can do that."

Last week, this really inspired me in that way. After reading her words and catching a glimpse into that stranger's life, I really wanted to be a better mom and wife and Erin. I especially loved these words:

"This is a high calling. It is doing laundry, scouring my sink, making dinner, taking Emma around the block on her bike, showing Mary where her nose is, putting fresh flowers from my garden at the kitchen table, changing diapers, reading stories, packing lunches. ... It is a high calling, the care of souls, the loving of a man, the creation of a sanctuary."

In the few days that followed my reading this, I have found myself doing things with a little more enthusiasm. I wanted to make my bed in the morning and play and read with Ana, and I found more joy in "the creation of a sanctuary."

3 comments:

Janae said...

I LOVE her blog. It's such a good reminder to me after a long hard day's work that being a mother is wonderful.

Chad and Teri said...

I appreciated her words as well. I like the thought of "creating a sanctuary."

Chad and Teri said...

so this has nothing to do with this comment, but it pertains to our earlier conversation. Here's a link I thought you might be interested. http://www.babyultimate.com/r293.html