Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Why I vote the way I do

I've always considered myself as patriotic. My dad served in the Air Force for 20 years, and he now has his Doctorate in Political Science. I've always loved history and social studies, and I loved reading books about the Revolutionary War, even when I was really young. I suppose I got a lot of that from my dad. I get emotional seeing the flag, and love everything about the 4th of July and all other holidays. I mention this only because I have always had a desire to vote and to be an educated voter.

With all the craziness of this year's election, I've really wanted to make sure I was voting because of what I believe, and not because that's what everyone has told me to do. I've read some friends' blogs that posted about what they thought and who they were voting for, and I thought it was pretty cool. Its all part of becoming an educated voter. I don't really like "party politics" because I think we should vote based on our beliefs, not by party. Here are some things I believe that influence how I vote:

1. I believe less government is usually more. In the Constitution, the National Government was set up for to provide security and inter-state infrastructure. Along with that I believe that the more government programs are set up, the more burden it is on the people. Reforms and programs cost money, and that money comes from taxes.

2. I believe the "trickle-down" theory is a true principle. Those who have money will spend it, they will invest it, they will take risks, and they will create more jobs. The wealthy should not be taxed significantly above the middle class, for they bolster the economy.

3. I believe in personal responsibility. Though we may choose our actions, we cannot choose the consequences of our actions. This goes for criminals as well as those who have unneccesary debt. Also, I think many of the welfare programs in place do not encourage taking responsibility. They are wonderful programs for those who are working toward a better financial situation. But there are so many people who are able to work, but take advantage of the system because it does not encourage getting out.

These ideas, and others like being pro-life, are generally considered Republican/conservative principles, so I tend to vote that way.

So, there are my 2 cents on politics. At one point I always thought I'd like to be all super involved in a campaign or something. I don't really think that now, but I do think exercising my right to vote is important. So, no matter how you vote, I hope as many as possible will study the issues and vote this year.

1 comment:

Keri said...

I agree 100% with you. You put it so nicely.