Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Dirty dishes ...

are my absolute least favorite household chore. You put all this effort into doing them and then 5 mintues later, someone dirties a dish. uggh! The first 15 months of marriage, we had a dishwasher and still I would go a few days before doing the dishes. They would pile up and when we didn't have any clean bowls I would resign myself to an hour + of dish doing.

We moved into our current apartment in September and guess what - no dishwasher. For the first few months I would let the dishes pile up for days and then, when we had no counter top or clean bowls, would grudgingly wash the dishes until my back hurt and I was grumpy.

Well, in January I decided that I wasn't going to do that anymore. I made a goal to do up all the dishes everyday, and I've done pretty well. I am so much happier when I wake up and the kitchen is clean. There have been times when I have put them off, especially while I was in school, that I'd let them go a few days and then once again I was grumpy.

What is the point in writing all this you ask? Because I've had a breakthrough. It is a two part breakthrough. 1 - my mother-in-law has the following poem on her kitchen wall. I recently read it and it really sunk in. So I memorized it and sometimes I recite it while doing the dishes to help me along. I really like it.

"Thank God for dirty dishes. They have a tale to tell
While other folks go hungry, we're eating very well

With Home and Health and Happiness, we shouldn't want to fuss
For by this stack of evidence, God's very good to us."

2 - I did my dishes after every meal the last 2 days. It has been really nice to only spend 15 minutes or less at a time!

Lets just see if I can keep this dishes evolution up!

4 comments:

Candace said...

We don't have a dishwasher in this apartment & I am the same way. I go through cycles of trying to stay on top of....or more like ahead of the dishes.

One thing that's good when you do get them done....more counter space.

Janae said...

Thanks to your inspiration, Erin, I decided to do my dishes. Aubrey and I did them for over an hour today (we don't have a dishwasher either). I love the feeling of a sparkling kitchen. I can't wait to move to our new place, with a dishwasher and a garbage disposal!!

Eric R said...

erin a dishwasher is nice and doing dishes a little at a time after you eat is better then doing them for a long time. emma almost begs me for her to load the dishwasher. its so nice. i do get more water on my floor and it takes longer if she does them, but.. its not me. Just wait ana:)

Anonymous said...

I love that poem!! I had Mom put my name on the back of it so when she dies I get it. Is that morbid or what?