Monday, February 25, 2008

Pillow Talk

My sister has asked that I make her some throw pillows for her living room. I'm really excited for this new sewing project, but I need some advice/direction.

What kind of fabric is best for home decor? What's a good price per yard? How big is a standard throw? Is piping essential?

So, any help from my blogging buddies out there would be great. Or just point me in the direction of some great websites or patterns. Dark green is her basic color, and I kinda want to mix and match, with different sizes/shapes and maybe piece the front of some. What do ya'll think?

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Erin, pillows, especially throw pillows, are anything you want them to be. However, typically anything over 24" square is considered to large, unless you have an over-sized sofa to go with them. As for fabric, if you really want something high-end and contemporary, it is hard to find at stores such as Joanne. Commercial fabrics range from $20-$45 a square yard, but residential prints (again hard to find good ones) are usually half that. As for piping, it depends on the type/style of pillows. Usually traditional feeling throws have piping, and contemporary ones do not (unless it matches the style of the sofa). I suggest getting a picture of the sofa (so you can coordinate details such as piping), and go from there. Also dimensions help, so if the sofa is large, you can do large throws, if it is small, do small throws, etc. Hope this helps. If you have further questions e-mail me directly: heidi@dracosoft.com. Good luck.

Heather said...

Try Hancock fabric in Idaho Falls. They have the best selection of home decor fabric and sometimes they have 40%-50$ off sales! Have tons of fun with it. If you want some idea's, I wouldn't be afraid to go up to the sewing lab on campus and pick the brains of the instructors. They know everything and are very nice. Also, sometimes you can find cheap pillows at the dollar store that are very plain and then you can just use them as pillow forms rather than buying them at the craft store.